PDA

View Full Version : What are my chances against a Morgan?

theweekendhaslanded
03-06-2013, 08:55
I was out in town over weekend having a few scoops and got chatting to a guy I know. Turns out he's got a 1967 Morgan with a 1.6 cross flow engine. We had a good chat about our cars and took the piss out of each others - not sure what happened next but we ended up with a £50 challenge. My Williams, his Morgan, straight line - winner takes the £50. I haven't seen or know much about the Morgan but what I do know is that it was used as a sprint/hill climber back in the day and its been laid up in a barn since 2006. He's getting it MOT'd and on the road this month ready for the challenge. I have seen him since and he's regretting shaking hands on the bet it already. I'm confident but I suppose it could go either way. Place your bets now :winkey:

p4cks
03-06-2013, 13:08
My money would be on the Morgan. Power to weight ratio (guessing) is much better than a Williams.

16v_paddy
03-06-2013, 18:55
fcuk it, rip out the seats, remove the doors, boot & bonnet to shed some weight just to make sure :lol:

Daz.
03-06-2013, 21:58
http://www.speedhunters.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/SH-24LM12J-022.jpg

stevie_b
03-06-2013, 22:13
I used to compete against a Morgan Plus 4 in my class when I was sprinting and hillclimbing the valver. It was definitely quicker than the Clio in a straight line and I would think would have the advantage over a Williams too. I used to always beat it on a circuit/hill, but that isn't going to help you in a drag race! I'd strip as much weight out of yours as possible as low weight is the advantage that the Morgan has. Also the Plus 4 I was up against was a lot more modern than a 1967 one, and was a 2-litre I think, so you might fare okay against his car!

theweekendhaslanded
03-06-2013, 22:51
Thanks for the info Steve. I'm pretty confident but I don't know what the outcome will be as I may be surprised. That's what makes it a nice challenge/bet. I'm not actually a betting man but very much looking forward to handing over or receiving the £50. I have had a look about on t' web and found that the 1600 Kent cross flow produced 70 or 95.5 BHP. I also know that this actual car has won hill climbs at Harewood and the previous owner acquired a few trophies in his day. Having just rebuilt my F7R I should be back to the 150bhp mark and my Williams 3 feels v quick. I'm with you guys regarding weight but don't want to turn up all fully stripped and looking hungry for the win. I have a lot of respect for the old Morgan and to be fair the guy that called the challenge.

16v_paddy
03-06-2013, 23:55
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/34336359.jpg

theweekendhaslanded
22-06-2016, 13:02
Right! 3 years on..........

I'm £50 better off.

The actual challenge didn't happen. The owner of the Morgan didn't feel comfortable thrashing the girl but instead handed over the cash. I wasn't to happy just taking the money but hey, that's what happens when you make drunken bets!!