PDA

View Full Version : Engine back in but now car won't start

Red_Dash
27-05-2013, 11:15
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v685/Red_Dash/Public/20130527_105302_zpse840b987.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Red_Dash/media/Public/20130527_105302_zpse840b987.jpg.html)

As you can see, my engine is now back in.

I think that I've refitted everything correctly, but when I turn the key the engine does not turn over. All electrics appear to be working. The following happens when I turn the key:

1) The fuel pump primes the injectors (I can hear the whine and I did a test earlier to make sure that fuel was coming through)
2) the key turns to the point where it should start the engine but there is no further noise or activity. For example, there is no click of the starter motor and it just sounds like the battery is being drained.

I'm guessing that the starter motor may be incorrectly wired, so I'll check that. But, I wondered if anyone had any further advise please.

Thanks,
Dave.

Red_Dash
27-05-2013, 21:00
Fiddled with the electrics and now the motor is turning over. Think that the battery is a bit low as the starter turns a bit (slowly!) and then clicks. Hopefully I'll be able to get it running tomorrow.

diditno
27-05-2013, 21:12
Does sound like a dead battery tbh.

andreas395
27-05-2013, 21:37
Yeah does sound like it, hopefully it is, easy fix :)
mint engine bay to 8-)

Red_Dash
30-05-2013, 22:53
Thanks Both.
Hopefully I'll buy a new battery this weekend and get it started.

Cheers,
Dave.

northy
31-05-2013, 09:06
I would recomend a Bosch Battery if your getting one

sk84life
31-05-2013, 11:29
Engine bay looks v tidy - hope you get it sorted.

Dean250
02-06-2013, 20:59
looks awesome that engine, have you fully rebuilt it?, I've just put a bosch battery in mine fires up really quickly now!

Red_Dash
09-06-2013, 21:05
Engine bay looks v tidy - hope you get it sorted.

looks awesome that engine, have you fully rebuilt it?, I've just put a bosch battery in mine fires up really quickly now!

Thanks Both :-)

Bit of an update on this now...

I've now got a new Bosch battery on there and I've drained the fuel and refilled with fresh. There is petrol going to the fuel rail and the engine turns over well. However, it doesn't start. The next thing I think I need to do is to check that there is a spark. Could someone please tell me the best way to do this, and is there anything else obvious that I should be doing.

Thanks,
Dave.

Wobba
10-06-2013, 00:16
Well, I would try another ECU, after checking the relays in the right hand engine bay section. Maybe a new coil as well?

To check for spark, you can pull each HT lead and pop the spark in it, I would recommend viewing youtube for how to test a live spark safely...it's not hard, the spark just needs to earth somewhere nearby...preferably not yourself!

Did you mess with the cambelt or timing?

MattDilley
10-06-2013, 09:21
Check to see if your getting fuel in the chambers, as when an injector has been open to the elements fuel can turn to a jelly like substance and block up the injectors?

lkcio86
10-06-2013, 10:08
One of the most common culprits is the crank sensor, located on top of the gearbox bellhousing, this would give you the cranking but not firing symptoms you are experiencing, also when i took the engine out of our lasses cat the other week i put it back in and it was exactly the same as yours, cranking but not firing, turns out it was the ignition module which is weird as it was fine upon removing engine just had a paddy at being disturbed, luckily i had a spare and it fired straight up!!

Red_Dash
11-06-2013, 21:16
Thanks for all the advice.
I'll have a look at the things mentioned and give an update later on in the week when I've found out more.

Thanks,
Dave.