PDA

View Full Version : Inner CV Joint

Swervin_Mervin
25-08-2005, 10:33
I reckon it shouldn't be this gammy. Am I right?

http://www.evoposters.net/carpics/Swervins-Valver/P1010026.sized.jpg

http://www.evoposters.net/carpics/Swervins-Valver/P10100251.sized.jpg

Couldn't see a split in it but then I wasn't looking that hard.

Swervin_Mervin
25-08-2005, 14:01
Is it true that this joint uses the gearbox oil rather than grease?

gtbloke
25-08-2005, 15:33
yes it uses the box oil....give it a clean then u will b able to check for rips!

Lunner
25-08-2005, 18:44
Lubricated by gearbbox oil, and shouldn't be liek that.

Check for leaks by cleaning it, and also chekc the gearbox oil level to be on the safe side, last thing you want is the gearbox seizing at 90 on the motorway

Swervin_Mervin
25-08-2005, 22:11
Checked the box oil and it pissed all over me so that must be full enough! Tried to get the gaitor off but couldn't undo the 3 bolts holding it to the diff. Then it started to rain heavily so I kick a few spanners, sulked, and the put it back together! :evil:

Found a garage that'll fit it first thing tomorrow and only charge £25! 8)

Mark_Ritchspeed
25-08-2005, 22:20
Doesnt look too bad a leak to me. Its probably been slightly seeping for a long time from the bearing onto the shaft.

To be honest we see a lot of Renaults with this and it normally looks a lot worse than it is.

If yours had a bad leak the whole surrounding area would be plastered in oil spray.

Slithers
25-08-2005, 22:25
Doesnt look too bad a leak to me. Its probably been slightly seeping for a long time from the bearing onto the shaft.

To be honest we see a lot of Renaults with this and it normally looks a lot worse than it is.

If yours had a bad leak the whole surrounding area would be plastered in oil spray.

Yeah good call, on me 205 the CV boot went, it sprayed a perfect thin line of grease right round the engine bay, took me fookin ages to figure out wot went wrong.

Swervin_Mervin
25-08-2005, 22:33
Oh well it's being done now!

Mark_Ritchspeed
25-08-2005, 22:43

Yeah good call, on me 205 the CV boot went, it sprayed a perfect thin line of grease right round the engine bay, took me fookin ages to figure out wot went wrong.

Thats what went on mine at Anglessey causing a huge smoke screen for the cars behind as it sprayed onto the exhaust. Still my electrical tape and zip tie bodge lasted ok until I change the boot today whilst doing the box.

Slithers
25-08-2005, 22:48

Thats what went on mine at Anglessey causing a huge smoke screen for the cars behind as it sprayed onto the exhaust. Still my electrical tape and zip tie bodge lasted ok until I change the boot today whilst doing the box.

Bodge jobs, cant beat em bout the only job that never fails to work on a car, usually involves gaffa tape as well :?: