PDA

View Full Version : When We Run Out Of Petrol..

arj256
25-08-2005, 00:31
What do you recon will happen to cars when we run out of petrol? will limited edition cars actually keep there value if they cant be driven? and how would the engines be correctly lubed etc?

Im sure they will find an alternative. but would it be viable to convert classic cars to operate with it?

Just a thought. as personally i wouldnt want a classic car if i couldnt enjoy driving it.

2 live
25-08-2005, 08:41
dont think we'l be running out of petrol in our lifetime mate tbh...so no need to worry

OneEyedWilly
25-08-2005, 08:48
Hmmm. Not to sure I'd be keen on a battery powered Willy. Having said that I'm yet to drive a petrol one!

2 live
25-08-2005, 08:59
water would be the obvious choice.......but then........all the designs that have worked, have already been snapped up n bought by the oil companies.......lol

like fords ceramic engine that will apparently never wear......will never go into production cos the losses thru after sales of parts will probably bankrupt em lol

the oil companies will do evrything possible to keep quiet any other form of fuel for their own gains.....again they have us over a barrel

Gav
25-08-2005, 09:12
they will use gas IMO
they already have gas pumps at my petrol station

2 live
25-08-2005, 09:14
lol.....and the gas is?????????????

FATBOY
25-08-2005, 09:20
lol.....and the gas is?????????????

a natural resource that will eventually run out????

a natural resource that will eventually run out????

Gav
25-08-2005, 09:24
we will run out of cars before we run outta petrol

u33db
25-08-2005, 09:51
http://www.coded-solutions.com/car/misc_pics/mr_fusion.jpg

OneEyedWilly
25-08-2005, 10:03
As long as we can still get up to 88mph we will be fine...
:wink:
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b174/bentley2005/untitled.jpg

Mattie
25-08-2005, 10:21
dont think we'l be running out of petrol in our lifetime mate tbh...so no need to worry

its estimated that we will run out of natural resources (fosil fules like oil) within the next 50 years!!! :(

KingStromba
25-08-2005, 10:23
We wont ever run out of petrol, or to be more precise, we wont ever runout of fuel for the internal combustion engine.

The diesel engine was invented by Rudolph Diesel to run on vegetable oil originally, and it actaully runs better on vegetable oil than mineral oil. So thats sorted as we have an endless supply of vegetables.

The petrol engine can easily be run on methanol with a few minor changes. Champ cars in the US run on methanol. Methanol is made from sugar beet. Again, we have an endless supply.

The death of the internal combustion engine will not come due to lack of fuel, but due to other technologies allowing cheap mass produced engines. For example, a gas turbine engine is lighter and more efficient than an internal combustion engine, but its use is prohibited by cost. The US M!A2 Abrhams tank can reach 70 MPH using this a gas turbine engine, and all helicopters use them.

David
25-08-2005, 10:36
Stromba you are a fountain of knowledge lol some useless (not all tho) lol

Do you have a job as you are on Trophy form all day aswell as this one and i am sure your probably on others

He seems to have quite a bit of cash ???

But loads of time to search through millions of pages on the web???

DOsnt make sense???? :lol:

KingStromba
25-08-2005, 10:38
:wink:

David
25-08-2005, 10:44
cheers explained it well :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: understand now lol

Makes me think you live at home with some ridiculas rich parents ??? :wink:

clowo16v
25-08-2005, 11:29
KS I agree with most of your points, but your point about running petrol engines on methanol is never going to happen. It is a fact that petrol engines run better on methanol, as it allows them to run a lot cooler. However, to run on methanol regularly you'd need an engine with absolutely no blow by past the pistons at all, which is nigh on impossible. The reason is that when the methanol contacts the engine oil, it breaks it down.

In champ car racing/drag racing where methanol is used, the oil is changed after every race for champ cars, and every 3 runs in drag racing. As you will no doubt agree this would be slightly inconvinient on a normal car lol.

All this news about fuel running out in 50 years is a load of bollocks. One of my mates works on a oil drilling ship (they actually find the oil fields) and there is apparently enough oil under the Florida Keys to last 400years. There is much more oil than politicians/greenpeace activists make out. It's just to scare people basically, like they do with everything.

See ya

Matt

NickFr
25-08-2005, 11:47
The way prices keep going up they won't so much run out as put it out of the reach of all but the richest people :roll:

OneEyedWilly
25-08-2005, 11:48
America have more oil than the middle east. They're just using up everyone elses first.

Tommo
25-08-2005, 12:30
COLD FUSION!! It's the future!

KingStromba
25-08-2005, 12:57
KS I agree with most of your points, but your point about running petrol engines on methanol is never going to happen. It is a fact that petrol engines run better on methanol, as it allows them to run a lot cooler. However, to run on methanol regularly you'd need an engine with absolutely no blow by past the pistons at all, which is nigh on impossible. The reason is that when the methanol contacts the engine oil, it breaks it down.

In champ car racing/drag racing where methanol is used, the oil is changed after every race for champ cars, and every 3 runs in drag racing. As you will no doubt agree this would be slightly inconvinient on a normal car lol.

All this news about fuel running out in 50 years is a load of bollocks. One of my mates works on a oil drilling ship (they actually find the oil fields) and there is apparently enough oil under the Florida Keys to last 400years. There is much more oil than politicians/greenpeace activists make out. It's just to scare people basically, like they do with everything.

See ya

Matt

In Brazil alcohol based fuels are already in use. You need to change the seals and timing on the engine as well as a few other things. But the cars run fine. The Brazilian government originally made the initiative in the 80's in reaction to raising oil proces. The fuel has stayed and it powers alot of their cars.

Oh and its ethanol not methanol, my mistake

'Most cars in Brazil run either on alcohol or on gasohol; only recently dual-fuel ("Flex Fuel") engines have become available. Most gas stations sell both fuels. The market share of the two car types has varied a lot over the last decades, in response to fuel price changes. Ethanol-only cars were sold in Brazil in significant numbers between 1980 and 1995; between 1983 and 1988, they accounted for over 90% of the sales. They have been available again since 2001, but still account for only a few percent of the total sales.'

Allan
25-08-2005, 17:57
great they are running everything on vodka :S

and meths for the poorer poeple

edde
25-08-2005, 18:22
The diesel engine was invented by Rudolph Diesel to run on vegetable oil originally, and it actaully runs better on vegetable oil than mineral oil. So thats sorted as we have an endless supply of vegetables.

The death of the internal combustion engine will not come due to lack of fuel, but due to other technologies allowing cheap mass produced engines. For example, a gas turbine engine is lighter and more efficient than an internal combustion engine, but its use is prohibited by cost. The US M!A2 Abrhams tank can reach 70 MPH using this a gas turbine engine, and all helicopters use them.

Gas turbbines arn't as efficient as normal engines but as you said there light and can be integrated into products better. Alos there much smaller. However there only realy effient at a set speed or relitivelty small range of speeds thats why helicopters use them as they always need almost maximum power and light weight the fuel costs arn't that bad plus the engine weigth cancells this problem.
The abrahams uses the engine for a number of reasons however its the only tank to realy use it diesel is still the way forward. turbines cna however be built for long life the abrams needs servicing less than similar tanks but standards have to be higher.

clowo16v
25-08-2005, 19:06
Ah right ethanol is different. My grandad made some when he was in his 20s and stuck it in his Hillman Minx, he said it went like the clappers lol.

See ya

Matt

Gav
25-08-2005, 22:20
top gear ran a rover on cow shit....endless supplies of fuel to run a car dont even worry about it

[cow shit being the last resort tho boys]

stan
25-08-2005, 22:41
Hydrogen is the way forward...take it from me :wink:

Mark_Ritchspeed
25-08-2005, 23:18
A bit off topic, but our Land Rover is now running on kerosene heating fuel. Hah, Tony can go screw himself.

We got given 400 litres of central heating oil. :D