PDA

View Full Version : Williams 2 - Help with issues

Dean250
04-05-2013, 22:08
I viewed a Williams today which sounded reasonable, as things go its not a bad car but does have some issues and I would like assistance with them before making a decision to drive 220 miles back to buy the car.

Plus points;

1. Had some panels replaced so no rust coming through as such
2. 107k miles - low for ages
3. cambelt replaced a year ago
4. 12 months mot

Bad bits

1. Boot replaced for one with no rust, the panel gap is around 1cm, just does't look right - he showed me the old boot he removed, is it easy to adjust this?, also has no gas lifters
2. Front bumper is wonky as if it's not sitting correctly at oneside - looks like something it mounts on might be broken or its been lightly bumped
3. Sterio is missing and wires look to have been messed around
4. Steering coloum has been removed before and is not sitting correctly in the way it's clipped back up/ looks very rough
5. Door cards have been badly cut for speakers to be fitted
6. Inside the boot there was wet in a patch under the carpet, not sure where it was getting in
7. Paint work was tatty all around but not a big issue as can be painted
8. Missing Headshield
9. few electrical issues - windows, gauges etc

Just something else I wanted to ask about is that the sub frame was white to look at when looking down behind the manifold, it looked very clean, I thought this would be black or could it have been replaced at some point?

Thanks for any help

Dean

Danno
04-05-2013, 23:28
Follow your gut instinct deano, if you feel like its not right then walk away. Don't rush into buying - i did and got a shitter first time around!. I veiwed several before buying another. I'm not that clued up to advise on the listed bad points, but it sounds like it could of had a hard life imo. Sit tight and wait for the experts:)

Dean250
05-05-2013, 07:37
I know mate well I walked away yesterday, but upon reflection I started to think potentially it could be a good car again.

ive been looking for 7 months or so is there many good cars left!?

ianbirch
05-05-2013, 09:30
I know mate well I walked away yesterday, but upon reflection I started to think potentially it could be a good car again.

ive been looking for 7 months or so is there many good cars left!?

I think you were very wise to walk away.... on first visit you will only have spotted half the problems ( if your lucky).

Yes your right there are not that many good ones about... but keep looking because they do still come up for sale. A 13,000 mile Williams 3 came up for sale recently and sold for 10K.... the owner is on here, and I think
a couple of 70,000 milers came up not that long ago at about the 5K mark.

Mileage is not the be all and end all of a cars condition but with these cars a lack of exposure to salt is a massive bonus.

Cheers Ian :)

MattDilley
05-05-2013, 11:42
Original sub frames are light grey in colour( possible to look white at first glance)
If there black then that usually indicates its been replaced or painted.

Dean250
05-05-2013, 11:48
My mate thought I was right to walk away from them, but I think for the right money it could be turned around being rust free.

of the cars I've seen it's the only one that is rust free because he has gone through the car replacing the doors and boot etc.

northy
07-05-2013, 08:50
Original sub frames are light grey in colour( possible to look white at first glance)
If there black then that usually indicates its been replaced or painted.

williams 3's came with black subframes from the factory mate.