PDA

View Full Version : 660 miles and still no williams!

Dean250
04-05-2013, 21:26
Started out at 5am this morning and viewed 2 williams 2's today, with the hope of returning with one, both had 12 months MOT but no tax so I knew I would have to get to a post office before 12.30pm

The first one I knew required the odd bit of work but there was loads of daft issues, I am still considering the car but can't decide if they can be sorted out or not reasonably, so would like a little assistance to decide - will post a thread to ask some questions

The second car soun& looked pretty promising from ebay 91k miles 6 owners all mechanicals overhauled, it was £2600 and I drove 330 miles to see it, got there an it looked OK on the face of it, I was told there was a small piece of rust on the rear arch - the bit he had been honest about was a badly repair bit that was coming back through.

anyways........

boot was rusty inside it, engine bay slam was rusty, under the doors were going, both arches had bubbling all over, the doors were full of filler and to top it off it had been cheaply resprayed in monaco blue, but under the bonnet it was the orignal 449 colour for a williams 2, was very dissapointed to say the least the owner claimed not to know it was the incorrect colour even though the colour on the wings was different when the bonnect was opened!

long day just home!

I think I am going to have to go down the route of restoring one to a good standard so thats why I am still considering the first car if I can get it for the right price!

Dean250
04-05-2013, 21:32
sorry for the badly worded post - long day!

why can you only edit for 5 mins after posting?!

manxseven
04-05-2013, 21:48
:-( sorry to hear that Dean.

Dean250
04-05-2013, 21:54
bit gutted but then I have seen 6 cars now, I think I just need to find a good base car and get it sorted out, full respray, correctly refurbed wheels and tyres.

ianbirch
05-05-2013, 08:51
Unfortuntely a lot of travelling to look at an incorrectly described shed seems to be a common occurrence these days.

It's very difficult to no what the answer to this is..... other than keep looking and REALLY try to pin the owner down over the phone.

If it's any consolation I know this has happened to the MOST experienced of Williams enthusiasts.

Cheers Ian :-(

Dean250
05-05-2013, 09:00
I can imagine Ian, I am still considering one of the cars but can't make my mind up, its a good shell but is in a sorry state.

thinking on the owner of the second car I viewed wasn't helpful at all with regards to questions and pictures he was adament it will sell anyways, even though fundamentally its the wrong colour tarting up the fact its rotting to bits!

I really want a williams, always have done since I first seen one 18 years ago when a guy down the road owned one, after seeing so many I think restoring a reasonable one is the way to go.

I have fully stripped a 16v they do come to bits very easy but that was 10 years ago when these car's didn't have as many issues!

MatBrown
05-05-2013, 11:49
How much of a rush are you in dean?
My Williams has been dry stored for 8 years but I'm thinking of re-commissioning it and selling it on.
Can honestly say its one of the best ones out there.

ianbirch
05-05-2013, 12:25
How much of a rush are you in dean?
My Williams has been dry stored for 8 years but I'm thinking of re-commissioning it and selling it on.
Can honestly say its one of the best ones out there.

I thought you were still looking for a good Williams.... but it sounds like you already have one.

Cheers Ian :)

Dean250
05-05-2013, 12:45
Hello Mat, long time no speak I got a few parts from you around 10 years ago to sort issues with my old valver lol.

what model williams is it?

well I've been on and off looking around and keeping an eye for local stuff (<100 miles away) for the last 2 years but seriously for the last 8 months, I really wanted something to enjoy and tinker with this summer.

could you pm me a few more details if you don't mind?

Thanks

Dean

MatBrown
05-05-2013, 13:30
It's a willy2, will send you some more details.
What's your budget though as it will be a bit more expensive than the ones you've been looking at.

Dean250
05-05-2013, 14:26
Ok Mat will drop you a pm to have a chat

Dean

jamiecrookston83
06-05-2013, 12:59
Its a shame that you can't get a semi decent williams mate. Maybe the resto route is the one for you??

Dean250
06-05-2013, 13:24
Possibly mate

fingers crossed about Mat's he said he may sell, but I have 2 more to consider;

a restoration project of one in glasgow - 2 owners but bits of rust and missing bumper £1400 but sounds ok for the cash.

or there is one not too far from me that's £3750 it's meant to be mint going to have a look later hopefully

The main thing I've noticed is loads of cars that are just missing there history, I really want one with a service book and mot's if possible! won't be travelling that far again without more helpful owners that's for sure.

jamiecrookston83
06-05-2013, 14:21
Its always going to be hard trying to get one with history. I've more history with mine now with all the stuff thats been done to it than it had when I first bought the car. Is the one in Glasgow Advertised?

Dean250
06-05-2013, 15:36
Yes mate it's on gumtree here;

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/williams-clio-2/1017361864

West Lothian, the owner is sending me some pictures later.

I'm viewing the car that is local tomorrow, hope it's ok and the owner is keen do a deal!

jamiecrookston83
06-05-2013, 15:53
I stay in West Lothian. Do you know where abouts? I'll happily go look at it for you.

Smithy007
06-05-2013, 18:01
Ah the "joys" of searching for classic cars
Really hope you find the one for you Dean

Dean250
06-05-2013, 18:32
Hopefully mate, have a few more to consider now anyways!

northy
07-05-2013, 08:47
MMmm advertising with no front bumper - carnt say i would be intrested in going to look at that one especially with no tax or mot