PDA

View Full Version : TICKING NOISE,

simon_scooby
03-05-2013, 09:24
Hi, been restoring my Williams 2 for acouple of years, getting there now,i started car for first time in over a year, there was a ticking noise from top of engine, car was turned off .your thoughts please, hydraulic lifters? im not sure.

p4cks
03-05-2013, 09:31
Have you flushed the old oil out and put new oil in?

simon_scooby
03-05-2013, 09:35
not yet, did not know ether they were fitted with hydrauliclifters or not, certainly will flush and change the oil, thank you.

jamiecrookston83
03-05-2013, 10:05
Sticky tappets by the sounds of it

ianbirch
04-05-2013, 20:17
If by ticking nioise you mean more of a tapping noise then both my williams have done this after being laid up of a while.

But if i take them for a descent drive where they get fully up to temp then it disappears.

Cheers Ian :)

jamiecrookston83
04-05-2013, 21:26
If by ticking nioise you mean more of a tapping noise then both my williams have done this after being laid up of a while.

But if i take them for a descent drive where they get fully up to temp then it disappears.

Cheers Ian :)

Exactly what my one does. Oil changes seem to help too.

simon_scooby
05-05-2013, 10:45
Does sound like hydraulic lifters not full,oil pressure light goes straight off when cranking,but oil pressure gauge is not working anymore,not wanting to risk any internal damage will investigate further,have nearly completed a full respray,fortunately have spray booth,was kinda hoping to get this on road for end of may.
Not seen one on road for a long time now,any more on this site from round Derbyshire way ?

simon_scooby
09-05-2013, 09:02
thanks for your advice, have spent too many hours at this, she is nearlt done,would hate things to go wrong now.

themos
14-06-2015, 12:38
Hi guys,
I have a willy2 and lately I had an issue with a ticking noise from my engine.
The story goes like that.
3 years ago I took the hydraulic lifters off thinking that the ticking I had back then was from them. Apparently it was from the injectors.
2 months ago I had a ticking noise that was clearly not coming from the injectors. So I thought this time it is the cam lifters.
So I stripped the top and changed them.
Noise is still there.
Sounds like a single tappet noise. I was thinking maybe an oil gallery is blocked so there is a tappet not filling up with oil. I had some engine flush additive in it but problem still there.
I am running out of options here.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Here is a video to have an idea of the noise.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ip2ykltx2kqos9y/IMG_2392.MOV?dl=0

PhilW
14-06-2015, 19:26
Does sound like hydraulic lifters not full,oil pressure light goes straight off when cranking,but oil pressure gauge is not working anymore,not wanting to risk any internal damage will investigate further,have nearly completed a full respray,fortunately have spray booth,was kinda hoping to get this on road for end of may.
Not seen one on road for a long time now,any more on this site from round Derbyshire way ?

You got your own spray booth Simon? Lucky guy. This is still the area that I'm struggling with in my restoration, getting the shell painted at a reasonable price, by someone that I can trust to do a good job, I'll get there soon.
Good luck with your respray and of course ticking issues.....

gozziee
18-06-2015, 20:41
mine was laid up for 2 years and when i started it ticked until i drove. one oil change later and a good run all is ok !!