PDA

View Full Version : Potential gearbox failure! Help please!!

Ben Nichols 1979
12-04-2013, 18:25
Hi folks

I have just had my Willy 3 recovered by the AA. I was in a q, nothing too long and it lost drive. The gears are selecting but the shafts aren't turning. The speedo still registers though. AA man wrote on sheet "suspected gearbox failure" :-o

Has anyone else experienced anything similar? There were no strange noises, bangs or anything. It's selected gears fine for ages so it's a complete surprise.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Ben

MattDilley
12-04-2013, 18:43
Sounds like the circlip has given up on the diff? Easy fix really but won't last.

You need to drop the gearbox oil ideally or jack the car up on the passenger side to fully extent on a good trolley jack.
remove the passenger side drive shaft which has a 3 bolt flange on the side of the gearbox.
with the shaft removed you have the diff cup, the circlip which could be causing the problem is on the outside edge of this. (May come out with the drive shaft)
either pop it back in or replace it with a new 1 from renault, may need a spacer ring also?

172lover
12-04-2013, 19:12
The circlip :)

Best bet really...(IMO....)
Buy this...
http://bit.ly/Yw04c5

Or different put a new circlip...
(these have a habit of keep blowing once it blows once...)

Or new gearbox :)

Ben Nichols 1979
12-04-2013, 19:16
Thanks for that. So it's not terminal?

Is it an easy (quick) job to fix? My normal garage went pop last month so I need to know how long it may take as don't want to ripped off by a new garage who I don't trust. There is a Renault main dealer about 500yds away from home, silly idea or worth talking to?

Cheers

Ben

16v_paddy
12-04-2013, 19:34
No way would I trust a main dealer with a mk1 Clio, they'll just want to plug it into a diagnostic machine then get confused when they can't do that :lol:

Realistically the box needs rebuilding, the circlip can only fail if the bearings in the diff have worn to the point that allows side to side movement of the diff cup and there's only so much the circlip can take before it fails.
Proper rebuild with a bolted in diff is the only permanent fix, the other options mentioned are viable but they don't fix the root cause of the problem

Ben Nichols 1979
12-04-2013, 19:59
Thanks Paddy. Sounds expensive, any idea? Anyone got one just done for sale?

diditno
12-04-2013, 21:13
Ive got a spare one your welcome to if you want to get one rebuilt. Ie, sort the circlip on yours and use it while the other one is being rebuilt.

Ben Nichols 1979
16-04-2013, 18:39
Thanks for the offer but all repaired for £78! Should be back on the road tomorrow just awaiting refitting and final test drive - fingers crossed, hope I haven't jinxed it!!

16v_paddy
16-04-2013, 18:57
Thanks for the offer but all repaired for £78! Should be back on the road tomorrow just awaiting refitting and final test drive - fingers crossed, hope I haven't jinxed it!!

What was done to fix it?

Ben Nichols 1979
17-04-2013, 21:21
I will find out tomorrow Paddy when I collect.