PDA

View Full Version : wiring horns help!

FATBOY
28-03-2013, 18:14
trying to wire in air horns on my XR3 but cant get them wired up correctly???? any help appreciated! heres the wiring guide, but i dont want them on the existing horn press. ive got a seperate button i want to wire them up to. can anyone do me a simple diagram???? driving me nuts!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y108/fatboy78/horn001.jpg

Wobba
28-03-2013, 21:20
Have they provided the relay? I guess so...and the selector switch? I guess this is to go to OEM or air horn.

All you do is, wire the button you want to a good earth point on the chassis or dash, or even to negative battery terminal with a spade connector.

Then, starting from the positive terminal (or some type of 12v live supply) wire in straight to the relay (put it with yer other relays or even hidden in dash) to pin 30, preferably through a relay harness. In the wire, fit a 30amp fuse carrier, and fit fuse later.

If you don't want a switch to swap between oem and air horn, bypass the switch they show there (5) and put relay pin straight to the positive pin on the button you want to fit. Otherwise pop the switch in and yank the positive wire from the old horn and put that on the switch too (both 12v live, just switchable).

Pin 86 on the relay harness can be wired up with other earth wires to battery negative or earthed through chassis. Easy.

Pin 87 provides the power to the compressor itself, so that's just a case of soldering that in to the positive on compressor and earthing compressor negative terminal.

Anything more?

FATBOY
28-03-2013, 22:30
need diagrams!! lol im having a totally seperate button for the airhorns, button has 2 screw down connectors on the rear of it. im so crap with leccys!!!

FATBOY
06-04-2013, 10:40
what the fook am i doing wrong!!!! i can hear the relay click?? but nothing at the horns??? if i wire the compressor direct to the + and - of the battery they do work. is my wiring still wrong??????

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y108/fatboy78/cgffgn001.jpg

jock
07-04-2013, 00:07
85 and 86 are arse about face on your diag? are you using good heavy cable to both sides
of compressor as it will draw a fair bit more than you need for the relay earth? :-k

FATBOY
07-04-2013, 14:49
swapped them about and still the same clicking at the relay but nothing on the horn????

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y108/fatboy78/WP_20130407_001.jpg

jock
07-04-2013, 23:23
Bit difficult as cant see exactly what your doing!
Simplify it as much as possible

all you have is a little switch that activates a big switch, sounds like the little one is trying to activate the relay ie the clicking noise.

if the relay does not work then the big switch isnt making contact inside it, or youve blown the fuse, so no power into big switch. if the power is getting through the big switch then is it getting to the compressor? and if it is getting to compressor, then the earth isnt completing the circuit.

test each bit from start to finish.

If the wires are confusing you, try a practice run with four seperate wires to the relay and the battery to make the 2 seperate circuits work using a light bulb or circuit testing screwdriver light thing, if you have one. :-k