PDA

View Full Version : rear brake pads and discs fitting???? how easy???

FATBOY
23-03-2013, 22:09
right peeps i need to fit new rear pads and discs as im now metal on metal and MOT is due next weekend, how easy/hard? bear in mind im a heating engineer and my knowledge of cars is limited. ive done the fronts befoe but heard the rears are totally different??? a nice detailed guide would be nice for one of your founders ;-)

p4cks
23-03-2013, 23:06
I had mine off last week. Two bolts and jobs a goodun. 20 min job each side, if that.

FATBOY
23-03-2013, 23:22
discs seem straight forward, what about pads?

p4cks
24-03-2013, 00:55
part of the rear caliper removes completely and the pads are held within it. then they slide out and you can replace with the new ones. seriously once you've done it you will be like WTF that was easy as ****!

ps 17mm socket IIRC

16v_paddy
24-03-2013, 02:00
You have to wind the piston in on the rears, as in spin it round instead of just pushing :winkey:

VIPERONE
25-03-2013, 02:54
Being French, you may find that one of the ****ers has seized up... always a niggle to grind good progress to a halt!.. other than that a pretty easy task

andreas395
25-03-2013, 11:54
You have to wind the piston in on the rears, as in spin it round instead of just pushing :winkey:
Yep a flat head screwdriver should do the job :)

cliopete
25-03-2013, 13:05
discs seem straight forward, what about pads?

I think p4cks was meaning the pads. To change the discs is reasonably easy as long as your new discs come with new wheel bearings fitted as the old ones are part of the disc assembly.

stevie_b
25-03-2013, 14:29
Yeah, make sure you get new discs with the bearings already pressed in as it is a simple swap over job then. You can wind the pistons back in using a screwdriver, as suggested earlier, or I have used the ends of a pair of long-nosed pliers with success in the past, but I now have a proper piston wind back tool that you can borrow if you get stuck. If you want to come over sometime for moral support or for me to give you a hand then you're welcome.