PDA

View Full Version : Fixed rear quarter glass

16v_paddy
22-03-2013, 19:29
How do you remove & refit them?

Need to get them out of the track car so I can get it shot blasted & painted

stevie_b
23-03-2013, 10:44
Just peel the rubber back and work a 'tool' in behind the glass and move round the aperture levering it out slightly as you go, trying to get it to sit on top of the rubber at the area you have just done. Once you have worked nearly the whole way around start holding the glass so it doesn't suddenly drop out and smash on the floor! I used a small screwdriver as the tool, but it did feel like maybe it ran a bit more risk of shattering the glass than was ideal - I'm thinking something like a plastic take-away knife might be a better tool for the job as I can't see one of these cracking the glass if you apply a bit too much leverage!

Refitting is the reversal but start by jamming the window as hard as you can into one side of the seals to give you more space to work with when you get around to the final side. Work the seal around on the two sides next to the side you pushed it in to start with and finish with the side opposite. This time you are using your tool to lever the rubber over the glass rather than the other way around. Some lubricant (washing up liquid, for example) in the seal might help you slide the glass around a bit to get it seated more centrally if you find you struggle with locating it properly on your first attempt.