PDA

View Full Version : Clutch cable problems

steve_uvs
15-03-2013, 21:37
hi all
On thursday my clutch cable snapped...again....for the fourth time in about 6 months. im assuming this isnt normal so does anybody know what the problem could be? ive been buying cables from euro car parts so could it be that they're snapping because they're non genuine parts? ive got one from renault parts direct as i couldnt get to a dealership after work. the cables routed correctly (behind the steering column and round the battery etc) and the gearbox was refurbed a couple of years ago. oh and the cable always snaps in the same place, where the cable enters the car.
thanks for any advice

oh and also when i was getting the old cable out i noticed that theres a hose about 3/4" diameter coming out of the bulkhead which isnt connected to anything. is this just an overflow pipe or something? ive looked for somewhere for it to go but cant find a hole, theres no oil or water in it and cant smell anything in it. i can get a pic if needed.

thanks again

DSilvaSport
16-03-2013, 00:48
I'm no expert but it sounds like the grommet isn't being fitted in place properly and so the cable is chaffing on the pedal box/backing panel...

Heres a pic of mine fixed in place when I removed it recently - clutch cable on right behind brake pipes.

There is a drain hole in the middle of the scuttle with a rubber hose connected to it which just empties under the car (hose goes straight down), see the arrow on this pic for position on hole (no hose connected tho)

steve_uvs
17-03-2013, 14:53
fantastic, thanks allot bootstrap!