PDA

View Full Version : Drive shafts

KingStromba
24-08-2005, 10:46
How easy are they to change for a beginner?

u33db
24-08-2005, 10:55
Easy...tho one side involves draining gearbox oil and beating a locking pin out...depending how long they've been on it might take a bit of work. About a half hour each side IIRC

clowo16v
24-08-2005, 10:55
They're not too bad if all the bolts come out easy. The best way i've found is to undo the hub to strut mounting bolts and pull the hub outwards, then undo the bolts holding the bottom ball joint onto the wishbone. You also need to undo the caliper and track rod from the hub. You can then take the entire hub complete with drive shaft out and hammer it out on the ground.

Remember to undo the nut holding the driveshaft onto the hub before doing any of this. You'll need a big socket (not sure on exact size it'll probably be 30mm-ish), a big breaker bar and a piece of scaffold pole for leverage. It's easiest to undo them before jacking the car up as the wheel and steering wont turn.

See ya

Matt

edde
24-08-2005, 16:46
They're not too bad if all the bolts come out easy. The best way i've found is to undo the hub to strut mounting bolts and pull the hub outwards, then undo the bolts holding the bottom ball joint onto the wishbone. You also need to undo the caliper and track rod from the hub. You can then take the entire hub complete with drive shaft out and hammer it out on the ground.

Remember to undo the nut holding the driveshaft onto the hub before doing any of this. You'll need a big socket (not sure on exact size it'll probably be 30mm-ish), a big breaker bar and a piece of scaffold pole for

Matt
Yep its 30mm.
You should replace the nut with a nw one every time I didn't and just stuck locking compound all over it.

KingStromba
24-08-2005, 16:49
Cheers guys ill give this a go.

Lunner
24-08-2005, 19:16
I'd stick a new one on teh front, just use locking compound ont eh rears.

I seem to remember them being about 32 or 34mm.

Will also need a new roll pin from rneualt for the o/s