PDA

View Full Version : Rack Bushes!

Coops
24-08-2005, 09:34
ne1 any idea how easy it is to fit the two rubber bushes that go on the steering rack mount points? i gotta get em on, loose steerin is windin me up too much as people fly by me round corners.......well they cud do neway if i wasnt goin faster down straights!hehe! :D but either way can i do it myself or am i best gettin garage do it?

Cheers

KingStromba
24-08-2005, 09:59
I was told that these mounts wont tighten up the steering as the bolts hold the rack tight anyway (i think Gunner told me that).

Are you sure its the rack?

Loose steering can be caused by:

Worn steering column
Worn track rods
General suspension wear

Coops
24-08-2005, 10:16
its had brand new rods and column in february so it aint that, n i tightened all the bolts up n that kinda made it significantly better but theres still a little bit of play in it and i've had a look n those bushes look totally fcuked! so am bettin on them, cupla others have said changin em can cure slight problems which is what i got now so am prayin its that. my guy at my garage reckons its that n all! are there any other points of wear when ur cars stupidly low that i shud be aware of if it aint that besides what u already mentioned? damn i hate diagnostics, all i wanna do is have the confidence to boot it round a cupla country roads near me!hehe!

Winston
24-08-2005, 11:29
Sounds like a worn column to me

the bushes on the rack are very thin......can't see them afecting the steering alot

Coops
24-08-2005, 14:00
still doubt its the column mate, like i said it was changed in feb, got the reciept n everything!hehe! but i'll bear it in mind if this dont sort it

laters

KingStromba
24-08-2005, 16:05
Did you have the rack rods replaved or just the track rod ends?

Winston
24-08-2005, 18:16
still doubt its the column mate, like i said it was changed in feb, got the reciept n everything!hehe! but i'll bear it in mind if this dont sort it

laters

I should have read all of the post :oops:

Coops
24-08-2005, 19:58
ah, reckon mite only of been rod ends, i'll check paperwork!why if its only the ends cud the rods need doin n all?

KingStromba
24-08-2005, 20:10
Rods wear at the kuckle joint.

Coops
24-08-2005, 22:08
so is that kind of wear likely to cause the steering slackness i'm experiencing?