PDA

View Full Version : Newbie looking for advice

SteveLaidlaw
17-02-2013, 15:18
Hi all,

ive just bought my first clio williams- number 140, with the intention of doing a full nut and bolt restoration, then keeping her as a fair weather/ show toy.

The questions i have are as follows:

suspension- im pretty keen on keeping the car stock but i do want the car to be useable on track days and for 'spirited' driving on dry days.

what are peoples experiences with regards suspension- standard versus top adjustables versus coilovers. I dont want the car to be much lower than stock- if at all.

also, bushes- polybush or standard- which is best?

engine- the engine and box are being fully rebuilt- are there any sensible internal mods you guys would reccomend or just keep it stock?

finally- it currently has a huge bean can as an exhaust and its a bit loud for my tastes- does the stock system still carry a sporty tone or would you guys have another reccomendation?

thanks in advance

stevie_b
18-02-2013, 09:12
Unless you are planning on tracking it regularly I would keep it all stock. If you do alter the suspension then go for something that is height adjustable and you can then set it to ride at the same height as standard - most of the other 'fixed height' non-OE stuff will come with a drop.

Warby
18-02-2013, 17:58
Hello,

I don't have any experience with regards alternative suspension as mine has always been standard but in terms of the exhaust, the original sounds very nice but I have always found they don't last too well. I've had my Williams for a number of years and intend on keeping it so in the end I had a stainless exhaust made to match the original layout. It's a fraction louder but should be with the car for a while!

Best of luck with it all.

16v_paddy
18-02-2013, 20:50
Poly bushes are the most cost effective option as you can fit them to the OE stuff already on the car, you just have to remove the old bushes from the wishbones which saves you buying new arms

SteveLaidlaw
19-02-2013, 21:29
in terms of coilovers- does anyone have any experience of the gaz gha kits?