PDA

View Full Version : Rover 214Si vs Evo 8 FQ340

clowo16v
23-08-2005, 23:50
When I broke down last night I sent my mate home to get his tow rope so he could tow me home. Anyway about 1/2 an hour later I heard a loud exhaust coming up so I knew he was near (its funny how you can recognise your mates exhaust notes) followed by the odd dump valve sound.

Anyway over the brow of the hill comes this Evo 8, really giving it some by the sounds of it followed closely by my mate in the Rover. In the 1/2 mile of road that I could see he only pulled about 100yds on him, and he was hitting the limiter in every gear :shock:. I pull away faster than that in the Valver lol.

It was a newish one, maybe it wasn't run in or something lol.

See ya

Matt

Chris n`nic
24-08-2005, 09:06
Lol I think even one thats not run in would beat any of our cars. Maybe he was taking it to the limiter but not on full throttle (daft but only thing I can think of). Or maybe he was hitting the limiter for effect as he should be changing ages b4

Chris

clowo16v
24-08-2005, 10:48
Duno the revs were going up quick. I doubt it'd have been an Evo 8 replica as they haven't been out long enough. It was just a bit suprising as they flew past lol.

See ya

Matt

Crowds
26-08-2005, 14:42
he clearly wasnt trying very hard in the evo lol!

Jamie.
26-08-2005, 20:23
are we really comparing a 340bhp evo to a rover 214 with 90bhp :?

Gav
26-08-2005, 21:16
heeeeeey the man says it's true, its true

clowo16v
26-08-2005, 21:36
We've caught up with the owner at a cruise. His car is brand spanking new, and he has an aftermarket ignition contol unit, with the limiter set at 5500rpm until it is run in. This explains why it sounded like it was revving fast and hitting the limiter in every gear lol.

He said he was impressed with the Rover round the twisties though (appantley they had been racing round a country lane first), he says he was having to give it some right stick to corner as fast as the Rover. We do go fast though lol, we used to practice in our shit cars (1.2 Clio for me and a 1.3 Mk2 Golf for my mate) cornering as fast as possible round there, so now we don't really have to slow down all that much.

JW3 its 103bhp standard actually lol. My mates has about 115-118bhp now. Not bad for a n/a 1.4.

See ya

Matt

Jamie.
26-08-2005, 22:05
115 bhp...impressive. i only guessed at 90 didnt even look it up lol. what does an evo red line at 7.5? 8? mark wud be our man here

clowo16v
27-08-2005, 11:23
Yeh, basically he was keeping it off boost, as he said if you put your foot down, as soon as the boost comes in it rips round to the standard redline straight away which is no good, so he fitted the limiter.

See ya

Matt

Gav
27-08-2005, 18:14
We've caught up with the owner at a cruise. His car is brand spanking new, and he has an aftermarket ignition contol unit, with the limiter set at 5500rpm until it is run in. This explains why it sounded like it was revving fast and hitting the limiter in every gear lol.

He said he was impressed with the Rover round the twisties though (appantley they had been racing round a country lane first), he says he was having to give it some right stick to corner as fast as the Rover. We do go fast though lol, we used to practice in our shit cars (1.2 Clio for me and a 1.3 Mk2 Golf for my mate) cornering as fast as possible round there, so now we don't really have to slow down all that much.

JW3 its 103bhp standard actually lol. My mates has about 115-118bhp now. Not bad for a n/a 1.4.

See ya

Matt

Dude, may not be a williams or a valver but still a clio....they aint shit just not quick, only thing some of us can get due to insurance reasons at the moment, :cry: so there slow, not shit. But practically look the same as most peoples cars on this forum

Zollo
27-08-2005, 19:03
Mate, the car he was referring to could have been a rusty, dented shitty looking 1.2. Calm down :P

Christian
27-08-2005, 20:08
Ahh! The good old days of 'maintaining momentum' through the twisties. I remember being scared to brake for any corner 'cos it would take so long to get back up to speed again !

clowo16v
28-08-2005, 11:17
Dont worry Williams Jr it was a Mk2. It was a minter, and actually an excellent first car. However, the handling was dire. When I get in it now I have absolutely no idea how I went as fast round corners as I did, though it did go sideways nicely.

See ya

Matt