PDA

View Full Version : erm...mechnical advice on a 53 plate golf? lol sorry its not a williams!

titcharoony
09-02-2013, 11:12
Sorry to annoy you all, but im trying to get with a girl from work and im gona try n impress her with my (pfthahaha) mechanic skills. She says her golfs 'alternator workshop' light has come on intermittently for years, and now and again her car cuts out. I suggested, as would you prob - that maybe that alternator is going, but then iirc - alternators tend to just sort of 'go'....and certainly would be dead within a year or two if on way out. She claims shes taken it to the garage who say the alternator is fine....

If i remember, with engine off, a volt meter across a car battery is usually around 12v, n should shoot to 14v with engine on - if not.....alternator on way out certainly - is this right? If so ill check that
Also, anything else I can check? I thought might be worth just changing battery or maybe looking at belt.....

Any tips MUCH appreciated...im kinda almost there with this girl n totally wanna get the 'im a bloke who can fix cars' thing down.....

despite being crap with cars. ha!:grin:

p4cks
09-02-2013, 12:00
Although I have no mechanical knowledge of Golfs I'm just posting to say that if you ever do sort her car out and then you do end up nailing her, please let us know.

andreas395
09-02-2013, 12:22
Lol buy a fault code reader only cheap now days, check and clear the faults and try it again a few days later to see if any have come back then you may find the problem but if its only now and then it may not pick up a fault good luck :)

Danno
09-02-2013, 19:19
google it mate, thats what i'd do....

16v_paddy
09-02-2013, 19:56
Although I have no mechanical knowledge of Golfs I'm just posting to say that if you ever do sort her car out and then you do end up nailing her, please let us know.

With pictures of course, in fact pics of said girl are required along with a name so we can find some pics for you :winkey:

titcharoony
09-02-2013, 23:10
lol, you're all beasts! ill prob just google it as youre all pervs and offer no advice! haha - nah thanks peeps, ill give fault reader a go.

and pics maaaaaaaay come your way if youre lucky