PDA

View Full Version : Ignition barrel wiring

Wobba
04-02-2013, 12:20
I am looking at taking the wiring apart and bypassing or replacing the ignition barrel and wiring.

Has anyone had a problem with misfires or drops in electrical output due to the key ignition being duff?

northy
04-02-2013, 13:45
I have heard Foxy had this issue on his 172powered Mk1

Wobba
04-02-2013, 15:30
Hmm, interesting. I will PM him on FB. Cheers.

stevie_b
05-02-2013, 09:37
Easy enough to bypass the ignition barrel temporarily and give it a go for a bit and see if it cures your problem - remember I had to do this when I trailered the car to Surrey Rolling Road and then found that I didn't have the keys with me (I never did find them - can only assume that they fell out of my pocket when I got out of the truck to check that the retaining straps on the trailer were tight a short way into the trip)! If you follow back from the barrel you will find two connectors that you can unplug and short across with a temporary link. The red goes to both ignition and live feed and then of the yellow and orange one will turn the starter motor and the other turns the fuel pump and car main power on (can't remember which is which off the top of my head, but I can check the car tonight if you need to know for sure). So basically you keep one pair connected for as long as you want the car to run and the other wire you only need to connect briefly to live to start her up. If it runs fine when you do that then you'll need to source another/fix the barrel.

Wobba
05-02-2013, 10:21
Easy enough to bypass the ignition barrel temporarily and give it a go for a bit and see if it cures your problem - remember I had to do this when I trailered the car to Surrey Rolling Road and then found that I didn't have the keys with me (I never did find them - can only assume that they fell out of my pocket when I got out of the truck to check that the retaining straps on the trailer were tight a short way into the trip)! If you follow back from the barrel you will find two connectors that you can unplug and short across with a temporary link. The red goes to both ignition and live feed and then of the yellow and orange one will turn the starter motor and the other turns the fuel pump and car main power on (can't remember which is which off the top of my head, but I can check the car tonight if you need to know for sure). So basically you keep one pair connected for as long as you want the car to run and the other wire you only need to connect briefly to live to start her up. If it runs fine when you do that then you'll need to source another/fix the barrel.

Thanks mate!

I'll give it a go :D