PDA

View Full Version : Gear Selection

Vandella
31-01-2013, 19:37
WARNING! this may contain rambling,

this morning after i pulled up at work, i realised that in nuetral my gearstick when moving it from side to side seemed very loose and is also hitting something when i move it left.. (exhaust or subframe?)
Been down to the mechanic a few minutes ago and couldnt get a look at it but will hopefully tomoro. just wondered if i could give him a head start as to where it could be.. i drove it home fine but was gentle with her..all gear and selection of gears is ok but ive noticed also recently im not finding 5th gear properly..sometime when trying to get 5th its like it hits a wall..as if there is no gear there.. then ill roll it back to neautral (all this with foot pressed on the clutch)..and then it will go in to 5th.
i also get quite abit of movment from side to side whilst in gear too..this was the same situation before i had my box rebuilt last march.

are there any prone bits of this to go or deteriorate.. any bits of plastic or rubber..ive seen these..im aware its fleabay, but anthing like this on there that could have broken?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/renault-gearbox-selector-bush-/190782825728?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3AClio%7CCars+Type%3AWilliams&hash=item2c6b8ae500
really dont want to be driving it and find i cant get any gears and possibly damage the car..any one experienced this before?
Guna have a look at my dialogys n see what i can figure out if anything...

cheers for help and thoughts!!
8-)

Vandella
31-01-2013, 19:56
Where is the gearstick and selector rod in the dialogys please...

Vandella
31-01-2013, 20:13
ok found it..5504any of these parts abit dodgy?

Vandella
01-02-2013, 16:51
Ive read some of yanoo's post on here and he had plastic and alloy bushes or something along those line which could possibly solve some of the issues's with the gearstick being a bit too wobbly in gears etc...

anyone agree or have any pointers?

MatBrown
01-02-2013, 19:15
You enjoying your conversation? Lol
You seem to have the right idea.

Vandella
01-02-2013, 19:19
haha :tongue3:.

yeah have learnt alot from myself!! lol

still havnt had the chance to get it up on the ramps yet but, that ball housing thing that yanoo does or the problem it would fix does sound simular to the wobbly gearstick whilst in gear, since ive had the car..

stevie_b
02-02-2013, 00:30
Some of the bits in the Yanoo kit would replace parts that would wear over time, like the plastic bush within the fork, so I would think it may well resolve your problem. It's worth fitting anyway to get the reduction in throw so not really a waste if it doesn't resolve your problem (as long as you do then get to the bottom of it and resolve what is amiss you will then have a much more positive set up).

Vandella
02-02-2013, 13:31
went down to the garage this morning, and turns out the spring underneath had/is knackered.. the end had snapped off and looks abit worse for wear.. so have a new one on order.. £15 +vat from renault..had to order from france so'll b a week-ish.. have also noticed that the ball joint housing like in yanoo's videos is also quite sloppy and the other video of the play between the rod by the rubber boot bit and what looks kinda like a selector fork...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzBHwYerdTM&feature=player_embedded.. no idea which i have atm tho..threaded or drilled.. can u tell by looking under the car or do you need to get it off?

stevie_b
03-02-2013, 12:09
You can tell by looking without the need to take it off, but probably only easy if you know what you are looking for as you have seen it off before/seen the different types. You need to get the rubber boot out of the way to have a proper look - it's part #14 in your Dialogys pic above you need to examine, iirc. To be honest you may as well just remove the bolt whilst you are in there to be sure, at it is literally just the one bolt you need to touch in order to know for certain whether drilled or threaded bar type.

adiclio16v
03-02-2013, 20:40
Fuk me 15 quid for a little spring surely there's a spring in England that would have done the job just as well and probably cost a quid

16v_paddy
04-02-2013, 20:27
Fuk me 15 quid for a little spring surely there's a spring in England that would have done the job just as well and probably cost a quid

Well I haven't bee able to find one & that's my excuse for not being rich :lol:

adiclio16v
04-02-2013, 21:04
I am budget Barry I don't mind spending money on stuff that you shouldn't scrimp on but there's No way I'm payin 15 quid + vat for a spring
http://www.entexstocksprings.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=36&unit=mm

Loads of springs :)

Vandella
05-02-2013, 10:29
fair point adiclio16v but.. i have no idea of the length and the tension etc required.. at least i know this is the right bit.. if u can tell me, what the spec's of the spring might be then yeah £15 is quite alot.. i have no way of measuring this and i doubt renault could tell me quickly!!

Wobba
05-02-2013, 10:51
I used to get expensive OE parts from Renault when I was quite new to it all as well, as I didn't know about alternatives.

For stuff like this Vandella, speak to people like Mat Brown first, and also find a local breakers yard you can wander about in to see if you can find parts like this as well.

The spring is a piece of piss to do by the way, all you need to do is get the car safely in the air and remove the thin heat shield above the exhaust, which is secured by 11mm fastener nuts...please note, you'll need goggles as there's a lot of crud under there and it WILL find your eyes.

MatBrown
05-02-2013, 18:08
Yeah I have one.

Vandella
07-02-2013, 16:51
i already have it orderd now and should be here nxt couple of days, i think it has the screw housing that keeps the spring in place too so bit more for my money than just a spring!!.. just need to figure out if i need to replace boths ends of the gear selector rod...