PDA

View Full Version : resurrecting the willy

summeh
28-01-2013, 00:33
So it's been sitting in the garage for almost 4 years now, knackered driveshafts and no inlet manifold, looking rather sorry. Was out there today having a tinker and want to get it back on the road.

As it's not my daily driver anymore I thought a few mods would be in order!

What would people suggest in way of stripping? Thinking perhaps using as a track toy... not going all out with cage and seats though, want to keep it looking resonably standard.

so far im thinking...

remove back seats, carpet etc, door panels, sound deadening
remove rear wiper/motor/jets etc
replace battery with red top/lightweight

What else is there that can be removed/stripped? any figures on what the above saves?

mods im thinking to free up ponies:

got a dry sump I could fit, just need a pump
replace hydraulic PS pump with leccy pump
replace mechanical water pump with leccy water pump

Has anyone done any of these? if so got any guides?

16v_paddy
28-01-2013, 09:15
so far im thinking...

mods im thinking to free up ponies:

got a dry sump I could fit, just need a pump - why? that's just needlessly expensive & will just add weight
replace hydraulic PS pump with leccy pump - man the **** up & go manual steering, better and more weight to be saved
replace mechanical water pump with leccy water pump - why complicate things?

Has anyone done any of these? if so got any guides?

Manual steering conversion is gonna be the best mod you can do 10-15 kg weight saving there alone

summeh
28-01-2013, 13:12
good point on manual steering, any idea on weight saved?

16v_paddy
28-01-2013, 14:46
I had every intention of weighing everything when I did the conversion but got carried away & just slapped it all together :oops: but it is a signifcant weight to get rid of as you ditch the pump plus all the std brackets that bolt to the block. Then a manual rack is quite a bit lighter as well as losing all the pipework so I'd say you're looking at least 10kg