PDA

View Full Version : Rear Chassis rail

simongore
26-01-2013, 10:11
Morning to one and all

My name is Simon and i purchased a Williams 2 and have had some serious fun with this little pocket rocket.

However it suffers from the old favorite "tin worm" and i have decided that i am not going to just cover it and hope it goes away but do it properly and cut it out.
It really is'nt that bad with scabbing on the arches and i probably will change the sills as at the back they are getting porous.

But the rear chassis rails are needing to be sorted. The mounting for the fuel tank is broken and the other sides it has holes in it.

My question is has anyone changed these rear rails if possible. It would be easy to plate but i would rather try and do a better job than that.

Also i have just had the clutch cable snap on me. i took off the inner plastic arch off the drivers side to access the clutch and found 4" of dirt and muck inside the sill end. Just to warn people how it collects there but saying that you guys probably knew that.
If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

Regards

Simon

MatBrown
26-01-2013, 10:26
Fasterthanjesus has had to replace his rear chassis rails, made even harder due to the fact he's in Oz.

FATBOY
26-01-2013, 18:18
had mine done. the rail underneath the petrol tank was non existent!!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y108/fatboy78/29052012439-1_zps46097ddc.jpg

Wobba
26-01-2013, 20:09
Shit! That's bad! Mines fine thankfully.

simongore
26-01-2013, 20:13
thanks for the reply

the question is did you just repair the rail or can you buy new ones and cut them in

cheers simon

FATBOY
27-01-2013, 16:20
my bodyshop fabricated and cut in a new section

fasterthanjesus
28-01-2013, 09:58
They put mine back wrong.
Make sure you get somebody with a jig.

My adventures are still not over!

Luckily I got a good tax return which has covered it.

Don't expect it to be cheap. You may want to consider a new shell.

Once you open the can of worms open. Don't expect a simple fix.

I would get the alignment done before and after to ensure your true.

Depends on how far they have to go....