PDA

View Full Version : Brakes

Vandella
24-01-2013, 13:55
hey all, general discussion thread..

at the moment i have some drilled discs, not sure what brand but they were good, used with renault pads. unfortunatley now on their way out.. ive seen some brembo drilled discs but they are £220 ish..

does anyone use the brembo max discs? if so what are they like.. they seem to be in my price range at the moment, and with new pads should be looking about £150..

question or debate really is which combination of discs and pads do people use and prefer if money isnt an issue..

im aware that alot of people have uprated kits..such as bigger discs, calipers etc.. for those who runs kits like this your input is also welcome as i'd like to consider such an upgrade at some point..

but mainly after info and reviews using standard calipers and disc size (unless the discs size can vary with the standard calipers..)..

hopefully i havnt rambled and this all makes sense!! lol

Cheers in advance!!http://williamsclio.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon6.png

northy
24-01-2013, 14:31
Im all about standard! Just make sure what you have is working correctly.

My Cup car got treated to all new brakes this year - I went with Brembo High Carbon front discs, Rally design Group N rears, with standard renault pads and Carbon Lorraine RC5+ pads at the front from Ktec.

The front pads were the biggest expense for me and i had to faff around to fit the missing anti rattle clips.

I could not fault them at all when used at Snetterton and Oulton Park.

16v_paddy
24-01-2013, 16:32
Don't fanny about with expensive discs, OE items are fine, it's the pads that are important. Just don't buy ebc products, they're just plain shite

172lover
24-01-2013, 21:45
Rally design Group N rears

what are these northy??

jamiecrookston83
24-01-2013, 22:29
I've got fitted Brembo HC's. I find them more than good enough

Wobba
24-01-2013, 22:54
Brembo Max are nice discs. I've used them once or twice, and liked them, plus they are not stupidly expensive! try them with Ferodo DS2500's or the ones I have on my car which I cant remember the name off right now...except mine are more extreme versions but okay for road.

If you ever do the rears, make sure you get them with the bearings pressed already.

Wobba
24-01-2013, 23:00
Mintex M1144's are the pads I was thinking of.

Wobba
24-01-2013, 23:01
what are these northy??

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/index.php?cPath=562_805_2187

Vandella
25-01-2013, 10:44
Nice one wobba!

Jaymzfc
25-01-2013, 11:59
EBC grooved front discs and green stuff pads on mine and i find them excellent.

Vandella
25-01-2013, 12:15
EBC grooved front discs and green stuff pads on mine and i find them excellent.

Don't fanny about with expensive discs, OE items are fine, it's the pads that are important. Just don't buy ebc products, they're just plain shite

Each to their own then!!

northy
25-01-2013, 14:20
must admit i like EBC greenstuff on road cars.

stevie_b
25-01-2013, 17:03
ive seen some brembo drilled discs but they are £220 ish..

I'd avoid fitting any drilled discs to be honest - they are prone to cracking around the holes in extremis, which renders them useless way before the thickness would have run down to the level where you would normally expect to have to replace them. The OE vented discs hold up okay and grooved ones should be fine too if you fancy going for something non-OE.

16v_paddy
25-01-2013, 17:15
must admit i like EBC greenstuff on road cars.

I despise their shittyness with a passion that's immeasurable, cheap & cheerful motor factors pads are better

st3f
28-03-2015, 00:05
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but no point duplicating what's already been said :smile:

Was looking to upgrade the brakes all round: Brembo HC discs and DS2500 pads at the front, but wondered whether the slightly cheaper Group N discs Northy mentioned here would suffice instead of the Brembo's at the rear? Car's mainly used for road, and hopefully an occasional trackday. Not sure which of the two versions of the Group N discs is the right one either!

Ta!

16v_paddy
28-03-2015, 00:21
Group N is just a fancy name for standard, don't worry too much about the rears as they do hardly anything, it's just important that you get rears with the bearings already fitted because it's usually cheaper and a lot less hassle that way :winkey:

st3f
28-03-2015, 12:36
Thanks, I see :) Just wondering which of the two rear discs on here is the correct one - http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/index.php?cPath=562_805_2187 There are two rear discs which fit all models apparently, but one with 72.5mm I/D ABS ring, and one with 75.1mm... Can anyone tell me? :-k

16v_paddy
28-03-2015, 21:32
Has your car got abs?

st3f
28-03-2015, 22:21
Good point... I think not, it being a Williams 2. Suppose it doesn't make any difference then :???:

16v_paddy
28-03-2015, 22:57
In that case just get whatever is cheapest, it's only when there is abs that the correct rings are important, the rear discs are the same for quite a lot of different cars & the only difference in them is the abs rings.

I managed to get a pair of genuine rear discs for mine from some boggo spec mk2 for £30 on ebay recently, the abs rings are completely wrong for a mk1 with abs but as they're for my Williams it doesn't matter as everything else is all the same

northy
30-03-2015, 10:42
Paddy - not sure I believe your above statement.

As far as I knew a Group N disc had been heat treated and cycled over a standard disc so there for they have been burnt in. This is for where regulations state a non slotted or non grooved disc has to be fitted.

Either way I am still very happy with this set up and it remains unchanged.

If you don't need the abs ring - just pull it off and advertise it for sale. somebody will buy it I'm sure.

16v_paddy
30-03-2015, 12:32
Really? :???: I've always been under the impression that Group N is merely rules that mean the cars have to have certain parts that are pretty much OE?

But if that's the case it's only for the rear & we all know the rears do sod all :lol:

northy
30-03-2015, 15:58
yes that's right, but they can be modified to work as good as they can without holes or slots - hence the heat treatment of the metal.

I am surprised how much work my rears do on track.....