View Full Version : help pls (ecotek)

will_s
23-08-2005, 19:16
which pipe does an ecotek go on

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y141/wi11y/clio%2016v/IMG_0633.jpg

thanks

Gav
23-08-2005, 22:09
that black one riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight there 8)

will_s
23-08-2005, 23:46
which all i got on clio sport was abuse so i still dont know

KingStromba
23-08-2005, 23:49
Sorry mate ive no idea. Alot of ppl have said that they dont work, but ive heard so many ford owners say they do work, there may be something in them.

Dont get put off if ppl salte it, fit it and make up your own mind. Then report back to us.

edde
23-08-2005, 23:58
Remove the heat sheild and you'll find the pipe behind there. Its quite low down I think. Follow it back all the way to the manifold or the brake reservior.

Winston
23-08-2005, 23:58
Theres a guide on the ecotek site

I had one on mine......sound did my head in so i took it off, car ran like shit without it, so I put it back on lol

not fitted it to the willy engine tho..........they sound shite lol

will_s
24-08-2005, 00:00
ok cheers for your help may have chance to do tomorrow if brakes come earily which they wont knowing my luck :x

Purple
24-08-2005, 02:14
At the bottom right of your photo - just out of the picture - is a thick S-shaped hose. That's where I fitted mine. Get it just before the horrible noise cuts in, that's where it seems to work best.

Purple
24-08-2005, 02:32
which all i got on clio sport was abuse so i still dont know

Don't sweat it, mate. That's nothing. Audiophile interconnect cables, that's where the real abuse it! :-)
BTW, I think it was the old cliosport mail-list that clued me into ecotek. IIRC, most of the members raved about it then. Kinda ironic.

will_s
24-08-2005, 09:15
they said throw in bin things like that but has worked on my bros car and on some mates so got one for valver

KingStromba
24-08-2005, 10:00
They beleive anything Ben r tell them on cliosport.

u33db
24-08-2005, 11:15
As above, they're rubbish and really don't work.

If you must though then i've high-lighted the pipe it should connect into below - it's the metal one that goes round the rocker cover. You'll have difficulty getting it to fit without cutting the pipe (IIRC 40quid to buy new!) so it'll be easiest just to remove the metal tubing completely and directly replace it with some rubber fuel piping cable tied down to the lifting hook. The ecotek gets connected inline of this pipe as close to the inlet manifold as possible (the big silvery worm looking thing at the front of the engine).

Hope this helps.

http://www.coded-solutions.com/car/misc_pics/ecotek_fitting.jpg

Enid
24-08-2005, 12:08
What do these ecotek thingies do? :oops:

Purple
24-08-2005, 13:19
A small air pressure T-valve that is fitted right in front of the inlet manifold that introduces a bit more air into the manifold. Am a bit fuzzy on the theory, something about agitation of airflow inside the manifold. Anyway, worked for me, so I just left it in. Bloody horrible noise it makes though. Will try to get some pics later.

Swervin_Mervin
24-08-2005, 13:38
It just leans the mixture a bit. I had one on my old Xsara. I would also recommend throwing it in the bin. No offence but it's a shitty con and it really does only work by leaning the mixture.

I also had brake problems after about 8 months. Basically just lost braking power.

Purple
24-08-2005, 14:44
Here you go. I think mine's not in the usual recommended position. Installed round about '99.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/Tywee/ecotek.jpg

[Don't worry about the rust on the rad. It's has been treated and been like that since '96]

u33db
24-08-2005, 15:06
I wouldn't fit one there.

Even if the theory behind the device actually worked your bleeding a small amount of agitated air straight into the relatively high velocity path of air coming from the throttle butterfly...it'll get blasted and the benefits of the agitated air will get cancelled out (as i said, if it did work).

Purple
24-08-2005, 15:24
Quite frankly, at the time (1999), it was such a cheap device plus, the clio 16V guys in UK raved so much about it - I was game to try it out. Noticeable improvement round about 3K rpm. Except of the horrible noise it makes, I am quite happy with it.

I have no idea how or why mine works. But as you say, in recent times - there are many more naysayers. I really don't know what to make of it.

matty
29-08-2005, 23:08
Had mine fitted by Stealth Motorsport in Southam 4 years ago. Think they copie dteh install of cliosport or ecitek websute which I think was Nick Reads. You will need to cut teh metal pipe a bit and replace with some vacum hose.

Mine was fitted properly. According to Ben R on cliosport it does not or cannot lean the mixture. Some peopel say it just makes a terrible moise but the noise is an indicator of when its working properly. Just set it till it starts making the noise on idle and lock off by 90 degrees.

Not sure what it effects performance wise and if it worsens brakes. My brakes work fine and car has just over 150 brake. Do get 400 miles out of a full tank compared to 360 with it off so I am happy with that.

If you have one fit it. Try it and if you don't like it lock it off or bin it. At least try it and see rather than just bin like many on cliosport say.

Funny thing is in the old days, the people did try things. Now forum members are no better than saying what their mate or person in pub reckons and disputing anyone who says otherwise, regardless of proof or facts.

Justin..
29-08-2005, 23:51
is it me or are some people talkin about an ecotek valve and others talking about an fsp thingy :S :?