PDA

View Full Version : Williams 3 gearbox

bil909
19-01-2013, 17:40
Hi, apreciate anyone's help here.
My Williams 3 recently suffered a broken engine/gearbox mount. Repaired that today, went for a careful drive to experience a jolting motor.
Noticed when in neutral coming to a stop, releasing the clutch gives a knock, being in neutral does this point toward the box?

Back on the jack - passenger d/s has up and down play so expect that's shafted too, is this right?

Any1's experience of this I would really like to hear about.

If so, where do I get a box from!? Or refurb etc.. Please help :)

16v_paddy
19-01-2013, 19:11
Sounds quite a lot like the shaft is shafted. How much up & down play is there? The passenger side shaft has a tripod like end that sits in a cup in the box, drain the box oil & remove that shaft & have a look, you can also stick your hand inside the cup on the box & check that for play etc. If that's the cause of the play then it will be the box that is shafted

bil909
19-01-2013, 20:16
there's about 5mm play up and down on the shaft.
What's confused me is when the car is in neutral, pressing/depressing the clutch can sometimes here a tap/knock. Probably f**ked both the box and shaft!
Any advice for getting a 2nd hand box? There's none on eBay.. Car is 74,000miles so want a box with lower miles tbf..
Will do the shaft removal first.

16v_paddy
19-01-2013, 21:09
Avoid ebay for anything williams related, overpriced dreamers & bullshitters on there & not worth the hassle plus I highly doubt you'll find a box with similar or lower milage, depending on the damage you'll probably be better off getting it rebuilt.

Another thing with ebay is that most people on these forums only put stuff on there as a last resort after trying to sell the stuff on here 1st, so ask on here:winkey:

bil909
20-01-2013, 17:15
Thanks for the heads up mate.
Any special tools needed to get the d/s out?

16v_paddy
21-01-2013, 00:58
No nothing special needed to remove that shaft, 13mm socket & extension bar to undo the 3 bolts holding the driveshaft seal in the box itself