PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox problem - hard to select gears

Akky
05-01-2013, 19:11
Hi all

Got a weird one. When the car is cold it selects and changes gear no problem. However when she's up to temp its hard to select reverse and first at manoeuvring speeds and sometimes crunches going into 3 rd when on the move?

Any ideas? Maybe bushes when warm are not performing at they should?

gozziee
05-01-2013, 22:36
clutch

gozziee
05-01-2013, 22:43
what i was ment to say is that i have a similar problem and have had it checked and my clutch is slowly on the way out. like yrs it is fine when cold but crunches once warm and trying for reverse or a twat to get in gear in traffic around town

16v_paddy
06-01-2013, 02:26
Try & rule out the clutch ratchet mechanism being worn as well, get a helper to press the clutch pedal while you measure how far the clutch fork moves. Should move between 17 & 21mm, 17mm is the absolute minimum & means it's about dead & a new pedal wants fitting.

Also worth checking the cable is in good nick & routed correctly as you'll be pissed off if you go to the trouble of fitting a new clutch & still having the same problem :lol:

p4cks
06-01-2013, 12:06
My money would be on the clutch. The temperature of the car shouldn't matter, as it reflects that the car has been driven therefore the clutch would have been getting used a bit.

Try carparts4u which are a sister company to Eurocarparts.

16v_paddy
06-01-2013, 12:35
Test the ratchet mechanism 1st as it wont cost anything :winkey: plus the issue is the clutch not actually disengaging properly, the clutch itself being worn or on it's way out is irrelevant as the more worn it is, the easier it is for it to disengage

Akky
06-01-2013, 17:50
Cheers all I'll get investigating.

cliokiz
07-01-2013, 12:55
Easiest way to tell is to remove the pedal stop and drive it until it's up to temperature. If your issue suddenly goes away then i'd suggest you need a new ratchet mechanism.