PDA

View Full Version : Possible steering rack woes?

Ben Nichols 1979
03-01-2013, 20:32
Hi Guys

Its been a while since I was on here.

Its time for the annual fix up on the Willy. I have a strange one here, I think I know the problem but I hope it isn't, can anyone suggest an alternative problem?

I seem to find a nice small (very!) puddle of pink liquid underneath when she is left a while. Then the steering make a "cracking" noise when turned. I fill up the resevoir and it goes - until the next time!

I have a sneaking suspecion its the steering rack but I'll be buggered if I can find a re-con service on line that does cost the earth and I am relectant to buy second hand as surely the same will happen again!!??

So my question (s) are:

Is the rack buggered?
Is there a firm that will re-furb mine (properly) at a sensible price?
Could it be anything else?
How long do you thing a garage will cost to swap it out?

Any help gratefully received!

Ben

Smokey McPot
03-01-2013, 23:01
Found a place near me (bedford) that refurbs racks for £100. Not used them, but the garage I've used for years recommends them. Dunno if it's a reasonable price either.

in hindsight, this is probably no help to you.

Jaymzfc
07-01-2013, 08:34
Are all mk 1 clio's steering racks the same ???

cliokiz
07-01-2013, 12:54
Pretty sure the MK1 power rack between the 16v/Williams are the same, the only difference being the track rods (the ends are the same, obviously need matching to the track rods if they are male/female)

They are an absolute NIGHTMARE. I've found that if you remove the main feed from the pump to the rack, or any of the green pipes, and try to re-fit them, 9/10 they leak and i've never been able to figure out why

I've fitted a Ph1 feed pipe from my pump to the rack and touch wood so far it seems to be ok, but i'm soon going to ditch the whole lot and try fitting a 172 rack, engine, pipework and pump.