PDA

View Full Version : Squeky Belts!?

Vandella
30-12-2012, 14:53
hey all, im having a squeking issue.. it sounds like a belt... it goes away under load and comes back when the clutch is dipped when im driving..

any idea's?

could it be water on the belts?? it sometime doesnt do it if ive been driving a while....

ive got to replace the gearbox mount as i have noticed its looks out of place with the bracket and the mark that the bolts have left...looks like its tiwsted abit.. could this be the issue? i dont wanna drive it if it could be putting stress on the belts... as the engine might be out of the original position slightly..

thanks for any ideas and opinions!!

jamiecrookston83
30-12-2012, 18:15
Are the belts due to be changed?

theweekendhaslanded
30-12-2012, 23:43
Someone will have the correct answer for you I'm sure but with my experience it shoundnt make any difference about where the engine mount is and if its out of line. If you lightly spray water or wd-40 on your aux belt it will shut up. Worth a try maybe?

Vandella
31-12-2012, 10:17
both the belts are pretty much new.. its on 117k and had them changed at 108k.. so hopefully that rules that possiblility out.. ive always had a noisy powers teering pump.. no squeeks just the whiney noise.. maybe this is finally giving up.. or a squeeky bearing?.. ill try the wd40 on the aux belt see what happens.. where the best place to get at this?

Thanks again for your ideas and suggestions

Wobba
31-12-2012, 10:51
It will be alternator belt.

To confirm, next time you start the car from cold, get the bonnet open and spray a little WD40 on the inside of the belt, which you can see on the drivers side. The squeak will go away.

If it comes back and is there a noise even when car is warm then the belt needs tensioning up more.

Vandella
31-12-2012, 11:00
when i switch the engine off from running.. it sounds like somthing is squeeking to a halt.. is this the tensioner then wobba or the alternator itself? cos the alternator if a few months old too.... can i tighten the tensionor fairly easily?.. best way?

theweekendhaslanded
31-12-2012, 20:35
when i switch the engine off from running.. it sounds like somthing is squeeking to a halt.. is this the tensioner then wobba or the alternator itself? cos the alternator if a few months old too.... can i tighten the tensionor fairly easily?.. best way?

Remove the drivers side headlight for better access. The tensioner requires a slim 7mm Allen key. Its pretty simply but depends on your tools and skills.

Wobba
02-01-2013, 12:01
The squeaking is the belt slipping as it is turned by the crankshaft pulley.

Tightening it is discussed on the site somewhere. Allen key, adjustable spanner and possibly jacking engine up gently under the sump to move engine up for better access to the tensioner. The allen key unlocks the tensioner, the adjustable spanner moves the pulley in and out to the correct tension (turn anticlockwise in your case) and once at an acceptable tension, tighten allen key bit again to lock it in place.