PDA

View Full Version : Off side driveshaft cv boot to gearbox - mot failure :-(

Akky
22-12-2012, 22:06
Hi all

My willy failed its mot as the offside cv boot to gearbox was split. I'm thinking this is a bit of bitch to sort as i have to remove the whole shaft to get access to the boot. Any advice tips to get it fixed?

Cheers all

dkrevs
22-12-2012, 23:17
Undo the driveshaft nut, jack it up, remove wheel, undo two bolts securing stub axle and shock or undo two bolts holding lower balljoint on the wishbone, then undo three bolts to get the rubber boot of the gearbox, there may be necessary to drain gearbox oil prior taking driveshaft out, but it should be already leaking if the boot is split? Hope this helps, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers

David

16v_paddy
22-12-2012, 23:28
You're wrong David, off side for us UK boys is the dry side of the box :winkey:

No 2 ways about it, the shaft has to come off but replacing the boot is pretty straight forward although a little bit messy

dkrevs
23-12-2012, 00:23
My bad, no need to drain gearbox oil.:)

Wobba
23-12-2012, 12:32
It's really not that big a deal. The wishbone lower balljoint can be a pain sometimes as it can be annoying to remove, and then refit. I remember a few times I have got the shaft out without taking the stub axle off the wishbone though.

You also need a 32mm socket for the hub nut, which will be on TIGHT. Had to drill one off once, not fun.

A balljoint splitter on the track rod end may be needed too.

Brake discs can get stuck on, so rubber hammer them on the back to get em off. Again, I have remove the shaft without taking this off, you just need to pull the assembly away and push the splined end of the shaft out of the stub axle.

There may be a small roll pin securing the driveshaft to the gearbox. You'll need to pop that out with a slim tool.

May want to consider renewing worn wheel bearing at this stage and removing the entire stub axle, or any other worn parts like the track rods and ends etc.

16v_paddy
23-12-2012, 19:17
Wishbone ball joint is the easiest of all of that lot :lol: I just undo the 2 nuts & bolts that secure it to the wishbone

Akky
24-12-2012, 09:57
Hi all. Thanks for your replies.

Im cool with getting the shaft off. A bit unsure on the best way to get the old boot off and new boot on? Remove wheel end cv joint and slide down shaft? Or remove the tri bearing assembly. I'm not sure how to remove the tri bearing. Is this more risky? Any tips would be great

Cheers all.

16v_paddy
24-12-2012, 21:04
Remove the tri-bearing assembly, all you need to do is rip off the clips that hold the boot on which will then free the cup so you can pull it off the shaft. The bearing is held in place with a little circlip, pop that off & the bearing should slide off, might need a bit of persuasion with a hammer & screwdriver but be careful & only tap the bit on the splines in the middle.

Ignore/imagine the broken splined bit is still connected to the shaft :-P and it comes apart like that

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq165/16v_paddy/2011/snappedshaft.jpg

Then it's a simple case of fit new boot, refit the bearing, fill with cv grease, refit the cup, fit new clips to hold it all in place then refit the shaft :winkey:

Akky
24-12-2012, 22:18
16v paddy. Ledge. Cheers.