PDA

View Full Version : Testing the engine with the minimal ancillaries connected

Red_Dash
15-12-2012, 22:40
Hi,

My car has now been sat for the best part of 6 years, but in the next week I'm going to be putting the engine back in.
Ideally, I'd like to install it and try it for about 30 secs without having to attach too much stuff (so that if something's not right and it has to come out again then it's not too big of a job). So, I guess my question is this: What can I manage without connecting up so that I can try it (e.g. Cooling system?)

I also need to drain my petrol tank and refil with fresh before starting. Shall I just syphon it out directly from the filler nozzel or is there an easier way.

Many thanks,
Dave

16v_paddy
16-12-2012, 02:59
Think you need everything connected up to run it tbh :-k

As for draining the tank, just disconnect the feed hose from the fuel rail & turn the ignition on, let the pump get it all out :winkey:

Red_Dash
16-12-2012, 10:12
Ok. Cool, thanks :-)

adiclio16v
16-12-2012, 13:27
As long as all wiring and fuel connected u can start it u don't need coolant exhaust etc just don't be running it for long
Too pump all fuel out via pump ud need too bridge the relay with a bit of wire so the pump will run it will only prime for a second when u key on otherwise
adi

16v_paddy
16-12-2012, 17:51
I've found (by accident) that if the feed pipe is taken off the fuel rail it just keeps pumping the fuel, I'm guessing the pump keeps trying to prime until enough pressure is built up.

Got no engine in mine & I just turned the key to get the steering lock off so I could move the car about, pissed about at the back of the car for 5 mins only to find a large puddle of fuel at the front with it pissing out of the feed pipe :shock:

adiclio16v
16-12-2012, 18:09
It shouldn't there's no way it wud know if pressure was there or not
when I fitted my walbro 255 I wired it straight off the plug cos the standard wiring was a bit weeny with the pump disconnected I only had 12v for a few secs at the terminals when ignition on
Adi

16v_paddy
16-12-2012, 19:54
Fcuk knows then lol! Could it be something to do with the fuel pressure regulator or the return feed? Then again both of my fuel pipes were swinging in the breeze :-?

adiclio16v
16-12-2012, 19:58
Lol ur car is freaky , Only thing that runs the pump is ecu Through relay so can only be 1 of them that's fuked

16v_paddy
16-12-2012, 20:11
ooooooooooooohhhhh! If that's the case it could be my fancy aftermarket ecu doing it then :-k The confusing thing now is that I know it primed as normal when you turned the ignition on :lol:

adiclio16v
16-12-2012, 20:59
It's magic lol ;)