PDA

View Full Version : Cobra alarm problems

waynos83
04-12-2012, 21:40
Hi guys,

I'm having an absolutely nightmare with my Clio Williams original cobra alarm. After 2 weeks of being unable to use my car (told by AA it is a broken fob) and trying to find replacement fobs i've decided the only way to fix the problem, is to get a whole new system. Can anyone recommend a good alarm to have? the toad ai606 seems to be popular on here. I live in South Wales and would want someone to take out old system and install a new one ASAP. If anyone knows of someone that operates in this area it would be greatly appreciated...I am desperate and need my car for work! thanks, Wayne;-)

FATBOY
04-12-2012, 21:42
check out ebay, there are mobile fitters on there that fit them, i paid around the £250 mark supplied and fitted for both of mine.... but yeah rip out and renew is the best way forward :0)

waynos83
04-12-2012, 21:50
Thanks FATBOY, I had a quick look the other day and most were set up in England and only did a 60mile radius. Will have a more thorough look now!thanks :winkey:

northy
04-12-2012, 22:16
What's the faults

MattDilley
04-12-2012, 23:36
Standard alarm is easy to bypass if you need the car working quickly? 2 wires I think, just need joining back together?

waynos83
05-12-2012, 00:33
The fob won't work to open car central locking, so I open the door with key and alarm goes off. Only way I can stop this is by popping the bonnet and turning the key in the immobiliser or disconnecting battery. Once I have done that I have no power goin anywhere to start the car. If I turn it back on the alarm is still going off. I've tried a few things to reset the alarm but none have worked. Initially thought I had a dud battery so bought a brand new one... Still same problem! Phoned AA out and thy tested my fob and said no signal being received!if I could bypass the alarm/immobiliser that would be great. I will have a go at most things but guess I'm still quite a rookie when it comes to cars. Any suggestions very very welcome. Thanks in advance. Wayne

waynos83
05-12-2012, 08:19
Wtf? :-k

MattDilley
05-12-2012, 10:45
I'm assuming this is on a Williams 2/3?
if you silence the alarm so you can work in the car, remove the black dash top? There should be about 5 screws holding it on?
the wiring above the glovebox should have a white wire cut that needs joining back together and a yellow wire that needs joining back together. Just joint white to white, yellow to yellow. This should make the car work again.

matt

PC-PLOD
05-12-2012, 15:13
what part of s wales you in i had same problem got it sorted by a lad in newport only toke him 30 mins then had a new alarm fitted

waynos83
05-12-2012, 21:15
Thanks Matt, I will def be giving this a try so I can use it temporarily. It is a Williams 2. Cheers for taking the time to reply. Il keep u posted ;-)

waynos83
05-12-2012, 21:18
PC-PLOD I live about 20 mins away from Newport, near Cwmbran. Have you got any contact details? That would be awesome! Cheers :-)

waynos83
05-12-2012, 23:39
I'm assuming this is on a Williams 2/3?
if you silence the alarm so you can work in the car, remove the black dash top? There should be about 5 screws holding it on?
the wiring above the glovebox should have a white wire cut that needs joining back together and a yellow wire that needs joining back together. Just joint white to white, yellow to yellow. This should make the car work again.

matt

Hi Matt,

I just wanted to say that I followed your instructions and fixed the problem in about half an hour! :-) I can now get to work and think about getting a new alarm after Christmas! I can't thank you enough! Cheers

waynos83
03-01-2013, 15:30
Hello. How easy is it to fit a toad ai606 with the central locking joined as well? Thanks Wayne

MattDilley
03-01-2013, 23:22
Most of the hard part is figuring out what wire does what? If your looking at doing this yourself then the old cobra alarm has most of the connections you need for your locking and hazard lights tapped into already. But alarms get complicated when windows and remote starting get involved.
You need to have a cat 1-2 alarm installed by a registered dealer for it to be insurance approved though? (Certificated)

Matt

waynos83
04-01-2013, 09:57
Most of the hard part is figuring out what wire does what? If your looking at doing this yourself then the old cobra alarm has most of the connections you need for your locking and hazard lights tapped into already. But alarms get complicated when windows and remote starting get involved.
You need to have a cat 1-2 alarm installed by a registered dealer for it to be insurance approved though? (Certificated)

Matt

Thanks for taking the time to reply Matt. I have bypassed the old cobra alarm myself about a month ago so all the fittings are still there. I also have found a very detailed installation guide on here for the exact model of alarm I want (toad ai606). I dont want remote starting or windows connected. Just want the same as my original one was, it just had the usual sensors, an immobiliser and opened/locked through the alarm fob. For some strange reason my insurance company have never asked me for further information on what alarm my car has. As long as I can't get an alarm working though my central locking I will be happy. :-) thanks again for your help!