PDA

View Full Version : Williams Vs 197.................

kneesparks
24-11-2012, 19:31
Hi all, im looking into getting a 197 but unsure if it will give me the same driving kick I get everyday as my Williams is my day to day driver. What do you think?? I would assume that the speed would be almost the same. If I want to go faster Id take the skyline but that is my weekend toy 8)

16v_paddy
24-11-2012, 21:07
This video should help http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4k94l_5th-gear-renault-clio-197-vs-renaul_auto

Wobba
24-11-2012, 22:42
The criticism of the 197 was the crappy power delivery. It makes a great basis for a tuners car though, and prices are dropping. It is not as special as the Williams though, but easier to live with.

kneesparks
25-11-2012, 12:00
Was thinking of selling the Williams off for a grand and getting a 197. It needs the arches doin and a bit more paint and its over 140K now so its just going to get more and more as im doing 70mile round trip to work everyday. It needs a bit of TLC and I just dont have the time to do it as I use it all the time.

Wobba
28-11-2012, 23:04
This is the problem with having the Willy as a daily. I find the time but I get you. I am going to garage to Willy before long for fun days tinkering and use another car as a daily.

LeeB
05-12-2012, 21:55
For what it's worth..my opinion. I've just bought W2 to have as a weekend car, that way it can be tinkered without the pressing need to use it every day. Reason: I loved a 16V I owned a couple of years ago and miss it! Buy something else, but for gods sake keep your Williams...if nothing else (if the rumour is true) when Renault launch a new Williams model in 2014 the oringinal prices will soar...now's a good time to hang on to it for a while and get it straight, sell it when prices go ridiculous.

kneesparks
06-12-2012, 03:34
It needs arches doing, bonnet spraying, and I had some dick recon the wheels but they need doing again.

I took out a 197 CUP a couple of days ago and was shocked how slow it was! Iv been on the 197 forum and they recon I didnt let it warm up enough as the ECU restricts the power until up to operating temp?? WTF?

I did take out a........... wait for it.................. Corsa VXR, I know, I know, its a Corsa but it was such a nice car! was alot quicker than the 197, steering was better and the cabin was just in a different class. Unless I take out a 197 R27 and it goes better once its warm, im afraid to say the Corsa VXR is looking like the next car for me.............. Only problem is it will have the chav followers with it :/

16v_paddy
06-12-2012, 04:38
From what I've read in evo & various other magazines they say that the corsa vxr is basically much much better than the 197 so your comments seem to back up those claims.

I had a go in a corsa vxr & was impressed but I thought the interior (the cheap & nasty GM copy of piano black on the dash) was hideous :lol:

My 1st encounter with a 197 was an R27 and my 1st thought when next to my valver was along the lines of being offended at how big it was and it still being called a clio

northy
06-12-2012, 09:38
youve got to rev the 197 / 200's - on track they love it!

You use the gears alot more - i would never use 2nd at all around oulton park in my Mk1 !

kneesparks
06-12-2012, 16:08
The 197 felt like it should have a seat in the middle for a 3rd person like in a transit! The thing was hooooooooooge. I need to try one that's warm and on full power as I was shocked how slow it was but that would be due to it not being up to temp. I did rev it up to 7k in 2-3rd but was not warm so vary slow.
I quite like the black of the VXR it reminds me of the dash on my mates RX8.