PDA

View Full Version : Members thoughts on this Williams (Link)

Dean250
18-11-2012, 19:37
I am just wondering if anyone on here has viewed or knows this Williams at all? and what are your thoughts on it and the price?

http://classifieds.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/renault/clio/renault-clio-williams-2-1995-43k-from-new/877922

it's very low millage (43k) and has had 3 owners from new.

looks very tidy from the pictures but has spent alot of it's life in storage which has caused some of the electric motors to seize, heater motor, wing mirrors and the washer jets.

the main one being the heater which I think would be a dash out job!

obviously the car is worth what someone is willing to pay for it, I am tempted to view it but can imagine it will need few hundred still to sort out those problems alone. possibly close to 1k? I did initially start looking at the clios and after seeing a few forsale and on here I thought £2000 to 2500 for the car would get me something ok then I would spend the rest of the money tidying it up and replacing parts to freshen up. so this is a little more than I was thinking originally but I don't have a set budget for one.

I do like to do minor mechanical work myself so I could probably do the work but just not sure about the heater motor really!

p4cks
18-11-2012, 20:22
For £5k I'd expect all of the jobs to have been done

16v_paddy
18-11-2012, 20:41
If by heater motor they mean the fan blower it's a piece of piss to replace and a lot of the time it's just the resistor that's fubar and they're only £17 from GSF. To replace that or the blower you just need to remove the scuttle panel & wiper motor which will then give you the room to undo the bolts holding it in and get the blower out and get at the resistor

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq165/16v_paddy/2012/Dialogys%20pics/heaterresistor.jpg

If it's the heater matrix then it's a bit of a dash out job but here's a walk through guide from c16v http://www.clio16valver.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13190

Dean250
18-11-2012, 20:48
I wouldn't pay 5k for the car still requiring work, I have asked to see a few more pictures as he only shows one side of the car there.

he says it has full history and also has good tyres all around (pirreli & conti's)

Paddy thank's for that and for the link, he does say the fan motor which sounds positive, although I would need to see it for myself, without the motor working would I still be able to check the heather matrix was ok? should just blow hot and cold when driving without the assistance of the fan!?

16v_paddy
18-11-2012, 20:51
without the motor working would I still be able to check the heather matrix was ok? should just blow hot and cold when driving without the assistance of the fan!?

Yes that's right

Dean250
18-11-2012, 21:08
Ok cheers fella, will have to make a decision, I need to see how negotiable he is and if he is prepared to have the problems fixed for top money.

Any ideas on the washer jets? imagine a simple motor change on the bottle would sort this?

and the wing mirrors? replacement mirrors?

wrighty
18-11-2012, 21:42
I maybe wrong but its seen paint? The bumper rub strips should be grey? It looks like they have been sprayed over and the inserts put back in. Not sure why the history of the car would justify this but who knows!

Hope this is right, if I am wrong it is by no means any attempt to misguide!

jamiecrookston83
18-11-2012, 21:52
The bump strips on the bumper is a weird one. With the washers its a good chance that could be the motor

glyn211269
18-11-2012, 22:17
Correct about the bumper strips, the whole bumper has been resprayed incorrectly. And for that price it should be virtually concourse condition and in full working order. Especiually as its a Williams 2...

Dean250
18-11-2012, 22:56
I maybe wrong but its seen paint? The bumper rub strips should be grey? It looks like they have been sprayed over and the inserts put back in. Not sure why the history of the car would justify this but who knows!

Hope this is right, if I am wrong it is by no means any attempt to misguide!

Thanks for pointing this out wrighty!, I actually don't mind the side strips when the are colour coded on cars but in the case of the williams I want it as close as possible to original.

the front and rear bumpers both look the same, where the strip is painted blue but this insert piece is black?!

I will ask the owner about this!

wrighty
18-11-2012, 23:09
It has the right inserts (black) but the rub strips should be a dark grey. Indicates a "lazy" respray. Up to you at the end of the day but the definite indication is that it has had paint.

As others have muted for that it has to be a minter and everything working

Dean250
18-11-2012, 23:21
Thanks, I think it's a little rich for me with it's faults.

I actually don't think it looks bad the way it's painted but it's not original and hasn't been masked.

it's strange the rear bumper is the same which hints at a possible full respray at somepoint although id imagine 80% of williams thesedays have seen paint although for this millage and being in storage I would have thought this might be one that hasn't!

scream1
18-11-2012, 23:29
Hi Dean

think this link may be of interest to you http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=277570

Regards

Steve

Dean250
18-11-2012, 23:47
Hi mate, thank you for that. The car doesn't appear to have been well kept whilst in storage, and things have been used from time to time!

not seen all the pictures yet due to my rubbish internet connection here. I think a car that has been used more but maintained might actually be a better prospect for me!

I would be interested in it but it's too much for me now I think.

jamiecrookston83
19-11-2012, 09:01
Dean. Have a look at this

http://williamsclio.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?41922-Does-this-belong-to-anyone-on-here

Dean250
19-11-2012, 14:29
Thanks Jamie, will speak to the owner but I think I've changed my mind on this one.