PDA

View Full Version : Best track driver on WC...

Wobba
09-11-2012, 22:36
There have been some epic drivers here, and still are, but who is the KING of the Mk1 Clio Williams on track?

We have some great vids on YouTube on WC days out...go have a look...

For me Northy has been the most regular and his car is epic, and he knows most of the tracks well...but there have been others...votes and EVIDENCE please people!

Smokey McPot
09-11-2012, 23:06
Me. I'm gully.

ThRaXaIR
10-11-2012, 13:00
Northy or Gaz is pretty handy

northy
10-11-2012, 18:27
Cheers wobba - Gaz and myself just go out and have fun. But he has to go around at my pace. Slowwww! One day he will have to work like I do.

Steve_b is very handy behind the wheel. I would passenger him any day of the week!

ThRaXaIR
10-11-2012, 19:07
When i say Gaz i actually mean... Cliolord

16v_paddy
10-11-2012, 20:06
When i say Gaz i actually mean... Cliolord

He is rather handy behind the wheel, he proved that at Bedford last year when I made a bit of a boo boo at 120+mph & moved into his path when he was about to pass me :oops: twas the incident where jay.s threw up :lol:

ThRaXaIR
11-11-2012, 00:21
He is rather handy behind the wheel, he proved that at Bedford last year when I made a bit of a boo boo at 120+mph & moved into his path when he was about to pass me :oops: twas the incident where jay.s threw up :lol:

Haha that video is gold.

Wobba
11-11-2012, 12:31
I saw Summeh at Brands Hatch in his OE suspension Willy going like a bat out of hell hehe.

zmaster2k
11-11-2012, 23:30
Cliolord FTW!

northy
12-11-2012, 11:16
link guys ?

Wobba
12-11-2012, 13:41
WE WANT VIDEO!!!! GIEF IT!

16v_paddy
12-11-2012, 16:18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeNonL6xluM 10.30 is the little incident I caused :oops: doesn't look much on the vid but as I moved out to overtake the ctr this blue thing just appeared out of nowhere & flew past like I was sat still

p4cks
12-11-2012, 21:45
The lad I bought my W2 from races in the Clio Cup and is hoping to move up to the BTCC soon so I think he probably trumps anyone. He's a cracking little driver.

16v_paddy
12-11-2012, 21:52
Mind you, Beanie and his brother are quite handy, they're building a 106 to compete in the tin tops race series

Wobba
14-11-2012, 00:33
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeNonL6xluM 10.30 is the little incident I caused :oops: doesn't look much on the vid but as I moved out to overtake the ctr this blue thing just appeared out of nowhere & flew past like I was sat still

HAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA!!! JAY U GAY! I thought you'd be hardcore pal!!!

Wobba
14-11-2012, 00:34
The lad I bought my W2 from races in the Clio Cup and is hoping to move up to the BTCC soon so I think he probably trumps anyone. He's a cracking little driver.

What's his name?

Wobba
14-11-2012, 00:35
trouble is with my car as a road car, it is capable of so much but I can never test it as it is on a public road. Straight line it will be faster than most Williamses, but as the suspension is hard etc it is hard to tell when it is braking loose at the rear and the brakes being shit don't help confidence.

northy
14-11-2012, 11:32
Gay wobba - that's gayness!!!!

Wobba
14-11-2012, 16:47
We shall see, next time :)

jock
14-11-2012, 17:05
but as I moved out to overtake the ctr this blue thing just appeared out of nowhere & flew past like I was sat still

Mirror, Signal, Manoeuvre. . . . . . .:winkey:

jock
14-11-2012, 17:20
Gay wobba - that's gayness!!!!

I'm with Northy on that one, lol

I think a stiff rear end is prob easier to feel breaking away (unless you have a numb bum), a softer one leans over on you and then lets go suddenly but may grip better up till that point, but it depends on your experience and feel that you develop from that. :winkey:

16v_paddy
14-11-2012, 19:44
Mirror, Signal, Manoeuvre. . . . . . .:winkey:

PMSL :lol: I was still a track n00b at the time of the incident though :oops:

16v_paddy
14-11-2012, 19:54
I think a stiff rear end is prob easier to feel breaking away (unless you have a numb bum), a softer one leans over on you and then lets go suddenly but may grip better up till that point, but it depends on your experience and feel that you develop from that. :winkey:

It's what I've run with on my car for a long while now, rock hard cup shocks at the back & standard up front makes the car a lot more playful/lively at the back but is very easy to control and more rewarding imo. I find it lets me go into corners a bit quicker bringing on quite a bit of understeer but lifting off a little bit brings the back out a bit, pointing the nose into the corner a bit more counteracting the understeer really nicely then getting back on the power stops it stepping out too far.
In some instances I can actually play with the throttle to get the car round a corner, it's a lot of fun & I love it :grin:

p4cks
14-11-2012, 20:24
What's his name?

Josh Files.

Wobba
15-11-2012, 13:54
I am so used to it now, but the LSD on my car changes the balance of the car in bends with applied throttle or lifting off mid bend. I vaguely remember without the diff I would get a bit of understeer into bends when applying power. I still do with hard power and hairpins but no way as much. If I lift off mid bend now, I usually get a calm understeer, I have to be going hard into a bend and brake to get the rear out, and if I do I usually spin it at that point.

stevie_b
15-11-2012, 15:19
who is the KING of the Mk1 Clio Williams on track?

I've never taken my Williams on track, so am ruled out of that one! I've passengered beanie and bass_direct and they were both good. Come to think of it they weren't strictly in a Williams either!

The one that sticks in my mind, and hasn't come up yet, was Martin, who always seemed to be fully committed in the videos I saw of him! Don't see him around much on here now that he left the Clios behind though, unfortunately. Most of the videos I have seen on here the cars seem well driven tbh, with our great little Clios seen slaying all sorts of machinery on track. Have enjoyed watching all of the vids from cliokongen, northy, etc.

If we are sticking to Clios I wouldn't mind going out with cliorod or Evogone (well, no longer in a mark 1 Clio now I suppose!) one day though to see what it's like to be driven by a rallyist - they have the skills but also have that special part of their brain missing that means they don't seem to experience any fear (said in jest guys, just because I don't think I have the bottle for it, but wouldn't mind experiencing it one day!)

Josh Files

I thought you were going to say it was Ben Winrow. I competed against him a few times back when he was doing the Caterham Academy, and he then went on to do the Clio Cup with a good degree of success (won the championship one year), and has already done a few BTCC races now I think?

sideways danny
16-11-2012, 01:32
I am so used to it now, but the LSD on my car changes the balance of the car in bends with applied throttle or lifting off mid bend. I vaguely remember without the diff I would get a bit of understeer into bends when applying power. I still do with hard power and hairpins but no way as much. If I lift off mid bend now, I usually get a calm understeer, I have to be going hard into a bend and brake to get the rear out, and if I do I usually spin it at that point.

the phrase "lift off mid bend"....

well you shouldn't be doing it

16v_paddy
16-11-2012, 03:09

Give me your diff & let me make proper use of it then :winkey:

Wobba
16-11-2012, 15:51
the phrase "lift off mid bend"....

well you shouldn't be doing it

Yea I know but theres been a couple of times when I have had too on the road!

bass_direct
16-11-2012, 20:05
We need another trackday :)

16v_paddy
16-11-2012, 20:27
We need another trackday :)

I need a finished track car more than that 1st :lol:

northy
16-11-2012, 23:06
U missed Oulton mrbass!

bass_direct
17-11-2012, 05:40
I know! :(

ThRaXaIR
17-11-2012, 21:01
U missed Oulton mrbass!

You fancy coming a bit more south for the next one please! :D

16v_paddy
17-11-2012, 21:28

Still waiting for dates but a load of us off c16v are looking to do Bedford in march

northy
17-11-2012, 22:22

What track u fancy???

16v_paddy
17-11-2012, 22:40
What track u fancy???

I've got 50p that says he'll suggest Castle Combe :razz:

ThRaXaIR
17-11-2012, 22:40
What track u fancy???

I hadnt thought about it too much just south please... Anglesey was a ballache to get to, to be fair oulton wasnt to bad at about 2 and a half hours away... but even souther would be good but im not fussy... ;) not till after may though... plenty of planning time.

northy
17-11-2012, 22:59
You let me know when u find a good date. But it has to be a real mans track!!!!

ThRaXaIR
18-11-2012, 12:08
Haha ok i promise it'll be round a real man's track..

Wobba
19-11-2012, 13:00
You let me know when u find a good date. But it has to be a real mans track!!!!

I want a girls track :(

Jaymzfc
19-11-2012, 15:41
I'd challenge you lot to drive over here for a few days, it's like a track but with no rules. :)

Wobba
21-11-2012, 00:28
Lol yea :D I heard!