PDA

View Full Version : Engine problems (possible head gasket?)

steve_uvs
04-11-2012, 17:43
Hi all!
This is the first problem ive had with my williams so far and i hope its not a hint of things to come :( its been running fine when warm, but when its cold it struggles to idle properly, dipping down to 500rpm and then stalling without my intervention. i originally though it would just be because its old and its getting chilly but the coolent levels dropped, so though it could be the head gasket. so with the engine running i took the oil cap off to see it it was turning to mayo and it spurted a bit of oil out.

so am i right in thinking that the head gaskets gone and pressure from the cylinders is getting into the crank case? causing the rough idle and the oil coming out of the cap?

as there was no white oil around the cap in thinking the gaskets not gone completely, as to the extent of the water and oil to mix, but thats what will happen next isnt it?

is the head gasket a difficult job to do? been reading on here its a couple of days work inc. a head skim

any advice would be greatly appreciated

Steve

MatBrown
04-11-2012, 21:24
Don't jump to any conclusions.
Firstly try changing the coolant temp sensor if not already done.
It's usual for oil to come out with the engine running.
Is there a lot of white smoke coming out the exhaust when up to temperature?
Check the back right corner of the block, this is a common place for coolant leaks.

steve_uvs
08-11-2012, 21:34
sorry for the late reply, been very busy with work, had a look all around the block for coolant but cant find any leaks, and there isnt any white smoke coming from the exhaust when its warm. the auxiliary belt is squeeking, could it possibly be the water pump failing/leaking? seems odd that i cant find any leaks and its not coming through the engine, although i could just be missing the leak, ive got tomorrow off work so ill have a better look then. where abouts is the temp sensor matt? ill pick a new one up tomorow if that could be the problem.

MatBrown
09-11-2012, 18:43
CTS is on the thermostat housing.
There is two on there, one feeds the ecu and affects running, other feeds the guage on clocks.