PDA

View Full Version : Toe-in and camber

Yanoo_
05-10-2012, 09:18
What toe in / toe out (and camber if you have got camber bolt) do you use? I'm a bit suprised because Renault recommends toe in for Williams.

Yanoo_
07-10-2012, 09:59
Anyone?

icenutter
07-10-2012, 10:55
Toe in is pretty common for responsive front wheel drive cars, isn't it?

Yanoo_
07-10-2012, 13:40
FWD cars usually have to in but performance FWD cars have often toe out, it gives better turning tendency (steering response) and reduces a bit the negative effect of the flexible suspension bushes at acceleration. It's strange but Renault recommends the following (opposite) toe settings for Clio Mk1:

All Clio Mk1 except 16V and Williams
+1mm +/- 1mm (toe out or zero toe)

16v, Williams:
-2mm +/-1mm (toe in)

... and for comparison:

Mk2 Ph1 172:
+1mm +/-0,5mm (toe out)

northy
07-10-2012, 14:57
What are u using the car for mainly? If your running R888's or slicks you want the wheels parrallel

Yanoo_
07-10-2012, 20:43
What are u using the car for mainly? If your running R888's or slicks you want the wheels parrallel
Mainly? Speeding on serpentines :winkey: My Williams is running on Toyo T1-R with toe out. A friend of mine's F4R'd Clio 16V was set to +2 mm toe out last week. I thought it's too much for normal road use. But when I checked the OEM values and noticed that toe in recommended for 16V and Williams, I was shocked.

Wobba
08-10-2012, 14:57
Tiny bit of toe in is normal. It helps straight line stability.

The benefit of toe out is better turn in generally. Benefit of negative camber is also with cornering, tyre surface area is optimised. Go read about centrifugal force and slip angels.

For daily road use I am a bit dumb as mine is set up quite aggressively on camber, apparently increasing inner tyre wear. But I love it and don't care :)

Coops
09-10-2012, 10:09
you mean a bit of positive camber optimises on cornering ;-)

positive camber wears tyres very little, if you think about it the most wear occurs during direction change, turning, and as such with the camber the contact patch is actually more even across the tyre, so less wear. I run 2 degress positive and I find my tyres wear completely evenly

Jamie Summers
09-10-2012, 15:24
you mean a bit of positive camber optimises on cornering ;-)

Nope, other way round. Negative camber is with the wheel in at the top, which helps with contact patch when cornering. Positive camber has the wheels in at the bottom and will lead to horrific wear on the outside edges of the front tyres ........

Wobba
09-10-2012, 16:07
As Jamie said Ben. Think about how the car leans more on the outside wheel when entering a bend. The negative setting would counter the loss of contact patch of the tyre and reduce understeer due to more grip than if you had a neutral camber, or an awful positive camber setup lololol.

volymmannen
10-10-2012, 09:19
I would recommend toe out, when you accelerate the toe out will be reduced