PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Top Mounts

Vandella
03-10-2012, 13:33
hey chaps and chapess's, i have a question regarding the position of these.. under the bonnet, i have noticed that mine seem to have a bigger gap underneath the topmount on one side than the other.. now im pressuming they should both look/be the same but my question is how high should it be from the top of the turret.. as i can fit my fingers underneath the top on one and nearly can on the other.. i have new top mounts to put on incase these ones have had it.. im not sure if its just the one that has had it or they both have..
If pictures are needed to explain then that isnt a problem. just shout at me n ill pop some on here.
Apologies for the vagueness and hopefully someone or all can understand my issue.

Thanks guys!!

Dan

Coops
04-10-2012, 12:14
do they knock? if not I wouldn't worry, just get them buzz gunned off, copper grease the threads and refit/tighten them and they should be fine

there should be a small gap, big enough to get tip of little finger under

Wobba
04-10-2012, 13:49
Unless you have shiny solid mounts :p

Some suspension coilovers leave large gaps, such as AVO's Can be a bit alarming to look at.

Vandella
04-10-2012, 14:54
all standard gear its running.. i was thinking of solids but id rather not ruin the turrets.. unless i can b persuaded.. thanks for ur replies guys. will have them checked.. what sort of knocking or when would i hear it.. up n down or from side to side.. if that makes any sense..

Vandella
15-10-2012, 12:19
hey chaps an update on this.. well i hope its this.. having a squeek when pulling away and stopping sharpishly now.. could this be suspension or engine mounts? sounds like its coming from the passenger side.. my middle dogbone mount for the engine is powerflex yellow.. could having this stiff make the others loosen?

stevie_b
15-10-2012, 20:12
Just thinking about the difference in height between the two sides - have you measured the length of the strut on each side? When I bought my Williams someone previously had fitted a cheaper non-Williams strut on one side only so might be worth checking for similar (it was most noticeable when jacked up as the droop on each side was a couple of inches different!)

Vandella
15-10-2012, 21:08
ahh. ive got the part numbers for the struts and springs that were put just over a year ago.. n they are right ones thankfully.
however when they were put on with new top mounts aswell, i didnt have the widetrack.. but i had williams driveshats so i was getting loads of positive? camber (top of the wheel out) im thinking this could have put lots of stress on the top mounts.
Now i have new roll bar, wishbones n a better condition set of driveshatfs.. my theory was that it could have disfiguerd the top mount or damaged the bearing inside as it was running like that for nearly a year.. now it as how it should be there's some play...?? just an idea...
i aslo get a knock when im braking and going over bumps. doesnt happen all the time.. but is definatley from the front..not sure wether this could be related though! cheers guys!

diditno
19-10-2012, 09:50
Have you checked the doughnut type rubbers, they could be past it. Ie the ones that sit under the turrets on top of the shocks. If they are badly worn that could cause a similar issue.