PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Alignment

fab
22-08-2005, 11:55
I thought I had this sorted but over the weekend I fitted new tyres all round and went to get it tracked again.Still drifting left.
My question is this:
how do you position the steering wheel when on the ramp before the alignment takes place?
I read in a technical manual that you should lock the steering and then there should be enough movement to allow it to come center(left)and thus be held in position by whatever tool they use to lock it to the seat.
Has anyone witnessed this as being the correct procedure for aligning the front wheels on the Williams?

Swervin_Mervin
22-08-2005, 12:23
My wheel wasn't centred properly but they adjusted the tracking to suit as best they could.

It's still not 100% straight but it's close enough.

fab
22-08-2005, 14:09
Thing is they are saying that the left side is +1 and the right +2.This is within the manufacturers range of values for toe.
However i feel that would probably apply to a new car.My gut feeling is that it needs to be identical on both sides to get it spot on.
What ****s me off more than anything is when you have to bring a car back time and time again to fix the same problem.Then the muppets didnt balance the wheels right cause I am now getting vibration up at around 80mph.
Progress is slow...

Swervin_Mervin
22-08-2005, 14:11
****tards. Mine were set to toe in 0.5deg. That's what they should be set at according to my local fitter/alignment place.

fab
22-08-2005, 14:55
i'm thinking if the left was more positive than the right than that should fix the problem.even if they brought the settings equal it should be close enaough to bang on straight.

Swervin_Mervin
22-08-2005, 15:04
Don't do that. That'll mean it's toe-ing out 2degrees each side which is what mine was doing. Quite frankly it was shit and I didn't realise how shit 'til I had it set to -0.5 each side!

Just find somewhere else to do it that knows their stuff.

fab
22-08-2005, 15:20
so just to make sure what is the ride height of the williams on standard springs?how is it measured?

reason i ask is that i think the toe may be effected when the car is at highway speeds due to aerodynamic forces hence they set the toe to a negative figure.so if my front spring is worn/broken then this would perhaps throw the car out.

Swervin_Mervin
22-08-2005, 15:27
Tracking has nothing to do with ride height mate. It's the angle of the wheels from the straight ahead.

It's also the angle of the wheels from the vertical as well but that can't be easily adjusted.

fab
22-08-2005, 15:47
So assuming the ride height is correct and the Toe is within manufacturers range this would indicate that a suspension component is either worn or bent.
So which component would effect the camber?

Swervin_Mervin
22-08-2005, 16:05
I'm confused now mate. What settins are the +1 and +2? Are they camber or wheel alignment. the wheel alignment is the angle from teh straight ahead whereas the camber is the angle of the wheel from the vertical.

fab
22-08-2005, 16:11
the settings +1 and +2 (these could have been -1 and -2) cant remember :oops: are the Toe settings(wheel alignment).These are within the manufacturers range.
if the camber which I think cannot be adjusted on the clios is out this will cause the pulling.
what i need to know is which worn/bent suspension components would cause incorrect camber?
thaks for your help,i'm learning lots!

Swervin_Mervin
22-08-2005, 16:26
Well for a kick off incorrect toe settings could be causing it so I'd get them set right first.

Get those set to toe in by 0.5 Degree and then see whether it's still pulling. I bet it won't do.

fab
22-08-2005, 16:37
I hope to **** youre right.
ive a pain in the tits with this at the moment. :D

Thanks Pal.

Purple
22-08-2005, 17:04
Mine was set at about 10mins(per wheel) when I checked about 3 months ago. According to the 4-wheel alignment's database - the Clio Williams front toe setting range is:-

Between 0degree 05minutes - 0degree 15minutes (per wheel).

Swervin_Mervin
22-08-2005, 17:22
That's 0.08 - 0.25 Degrees.

Bear in mind the settings for mine are for the valver so willy may be different

fab
22-08-2005, 21:15
Noted.

fab
26-08-2005, 19:51
got the laser allignment done from another place today.
the toe is accurate but the camber is out on the o/s.
the readings are +00,36minutes on the n/s and -01,43minutes on the o/s.
Had a good look underneath and the o/s wishbone was replaced so it looks as if its hit a kerb at some point,or other knock.
so if the wishbone is new then it can be either of the following causing the problem:subframe,stub axle carrier(very unlikely to bend),the strut is bent.
any other components ye can think of?

just went over the service history.the wishbone was done because it failed its MOT due to the bush being worn.

think there is an easier way to solve this.A camber kit.wonder if they are available for the clio.