PDA

View Full Version : Really powerful engine cleaner - what/where from/how much?

u33db
22-08-2005, 10:55
Think there was a post up here or CS about this stuff but i can't find it so can anyone remember what its called/where i can get it from?

It's the really powerfull stuff like GDI etc use clean/strip engines during a rebuild...think its brush on, hose off...

2 live
22-08-2005, 14:48
i got summat called GUNK......came in quite a big tub....used with a brass brush, is excellent stuff...just leaves a bit of a white residue after uv rinsed it of..another good rinse after its dried after the first rinse, and a good clean afterwards the bits i cleaned came up mint

u33db
22-08-2005, 14:50
Nice one - will give that a go! :D

Will that or is there anything that'll brign back an 'as new' finish to alloy?

big hp
22-08-2005, 15:09
Autoglym engine degreaser is the best by far. Doesn't leave the white residue most other degreasors do.

u33db
22-08-2005, 15:31
Nah, i tried the autoglym stuff when i had the valver...it's not powerful enough for what i need. The stuff i think GDI use isn't easily available...it's that i'm really after if anyone knows it?

Winston
22-08-2005, 15:50
GUNK don't cut it imo......motorworld do one called tetraclean or sumat....like gunk but cheap

you need the hardcore shizzle....try PMing Andy on CS

u33db
22-08-2005, 15:51
Ta, PM'd Ben a few mins ago so fingers x'd he'll reveal all! :wink:

BenR
22-08-2005, 22:51
lol....cleaning is a bastard process.

We start with carbostrip, a chemical cocktail that will strip your skin. It requires a licence and proper storage as a lungfull of it will......well you'll know about it.

Then hot tanked.

Then washed down in a wash tank.

Tetra is ok, but i find it greasy as funk and doesnt wash off too nicely without brake cleaner.

You'd be surprised how good cillit bang is! It gets all grime off and leaves a nice even colour.....but in those hand held spray things it isnt cheap, so a 50 gal drum with the powder concentrate is quite good.......we tried it as a joke on a mukky as hell gearbox, surprised me enough to use it sometimes. But you need to scrub with a stiff brush.

visibile items which are stained i use a shot blaster on.

Gunk is weak imo.

TFR works very well aswell when you scrub it.

We also use assorted light acids and alkalines.

And i always finish off with water and soap.

KingStromba
23-08-2005, 00:10
LOL, the only practical way to shift non-polar substances (oil) with polar substances (water) is with a detergent (R-SO4-, Na+).

You can get as fancy as you like, but thats the fact.

stan
23-08-2005, 00:37
lol....cleaning is a bastard process.

We start with carbostrip, a chemical cocktail that will strip your skin. It requires a licence and proper storage as a lungfull of it will......well you'll know about it.

Then hot tanked.

Then washed down in a wash tank.

Tetra is ok, but i find it greasy as funk and doesnt wash off too nicely without brake cleaner.

You'd be surprised how good cillit bang is! It gets all grime off and leaves a nice even colour.....but in those hand held spray things it isnt cheap, so a 50 gal drum with the powder concentrate is quite good.......we tried it as a joke on a mukky as hell gearbox, surprised me enough to use it sometimes. But you need to scrub with a stiff brush.

visibile items which are stained i use a shot blaster on.

Gunk is weak imo.

TFR works very well aswell when you scrub it.

We also use assorted light acids and alkalines.

And i always finish off with water and soap.

lol did chris tell u bout good old cillit bang?!!!

u33db
23-08-2005, 09:04
Excellent!

Off up to the cash and carry - cillit bang it is!

Cheers