PDA

View Full Version : Clonking noise

Jaymzfc
31-08-2012, 19:02
It's driving me nuts, a couple of months back i replaced the clutch which practically means removing the engine or dropping it as they say, now at first it was a slight knock when i turn full lock, but now whenever i turn the steering i hear a knocking noise but only when the car is moving. It's a one time knock turning left or right.
i have checked the ball joints bearings and anything else that could be loose but it's still there, any ideas??.
The drive shafts seem ok too it sounds like something quite heavy but again i hvent a clue.

Gonna lift it tommorrow and check everything, dammit.

James

Wobba
31-08-2012, 19:30
Check for play in the track rods and ends. Also, not sure how, but it could be the bush on the subframe. Also, I would check the wishbones. See if you can see any wear on the tops where they bolt onto the subframe. Mine wore a bit on the bushes and they hit the subframe, took ages to find that! Other things are the downpipe hitting the subframe, or the dogbone mount wearing, or any engine mount really. Make sure you did the gearbox/battery tray mount up tight.

diditno
31-08-2012, 19:33
I jad a similar thing once. When pulling away or reversing there would be a clunk, and also on hard acceleration. It was the gearbox engine mount moving under load. Id say that r just go over the car when jaked up and try to make anything move.

16v_paddy
31-08-2012, 20:04
I was gonna write pretty much exactly what wobba has put :lol:

Wobba
31-08-2012, 20:11
I was gonna write pretty much exactly what wobba has put :lol:

I win :D

16v_paddy
31-08-2012, 20:14
I win :D

You haven't bought an M5 so therefore you lose......spectacularly :tongue3: