PDA

View Full Version : Broken timing belt

carbman
17-08-2012, 17:50
Hi, just to say that our Clio Williams is owned and operated by my daughter. We have owned it since February 2005 without any real problem, but this afternoon, after visiting an elderly relative, apparently the timing belt broke.
I am just asking what the usual scenario is with this type of failure? Is it generally a 'terminal' engine or is it the luck of the draw as regards damage?
Thanks for your help.

p4cks
17-08-2012, 18:32
If she dipped the clutch in quick enough she could have avoided catastrophic failure however if she isn't very car savvy then I doubt she would have thought of doing this. You might only have slight damage (bent valves etc) but I think you need to expect the worst I am afraid.

16v_paddy
17-08-2012, 19:05
It's more a case of whip the head off & see what's been done inside but it's usually just bent valves

carbman
17-08-2012, 19:32
Okay, thanks lads. I'm just off over to visit her and commiserate.
The car was bought by her brother, who lost his life while racing his motorbike at Cadwell Park. She has vowed never to part with it, so we will get it sorted whatever. Her fiances friend has his own garage, so we should be okay eventually.
Thanks again.

p4cks
17-08-2012, 20:30
Carbman - if you need anything then I am sure that anyone and everyone on here will be willing to offer their knowledge and expertise. Especially the fact that the car is so sentimental.

16v_paddy
17-08-2012, 20:37
Maybe you can use this as an opportunity to pull the engine out & give it a complete overhaul, spruce up the engine bay etc :winkey:

carbman
18-08-2012, 18:15
Carbman - if you need anything then I am sure that anyone and everyone on here will be willing to offer their knowledge and expertise. Especially the fact that the car is so sentimental.

Thanks a lot lads for your offers. Learned a little bit more last night. She had just set off from traffic lights and she says she didn't really think it had started moving when it went, so hopefully not too much damage.

16vpaddy... I think the guy that will be doing it for her will do a decent job, so as you say, a chance to get everything out and do a clean up.
I'll keep an eye on progress, if there's anything that you guys can help with, I'll let you know.
Now to get back to my own job of the moment...cleaning up my garage!!! I'm not a very tidy person, so quite a bit to do.
Thanks everyone for your interest.:smile:

carbman
19-08-2012, 08:31
Just had a thought....do you guys have a favourite supplier of parts for your cars, that we ought to use? Or is it a case of get them where you can?

jamiecrookston83
19-08-2012, 11:27
Renault would be my choice tbh mate.

16v_paddy
19-08-2012, 18:54
For any genuine parts get them from these guys http://renaultpartsdirect.co.uk/categories/Select-Car-Model/Renault-Clio-Range/Clio-Williams-Products/ but stuff from motor factors will be fine, just don't get a headgasket made by BGA as for some unknown reason they just fail.

If the engine does get pulled out you might as well replace the clutch, if you do that, the most important part to buy & replace is this http://renaultpartsdirect.co.uk/products/Renault-Clio-Williams-Clutch-Fork-Stop-Bush.html :winkey:

carbman
19-08-2012, 19:20
Thanks very much for your help. Haven't looked at the sites yet, but will pass all information onto my daughter.

p4cks
19-08-2012, 19:43
I get a lot of my parts from here http://www.carparts4less.co.uk/

Wobba
20-08-2012, 15:38
It is a good opportunity to make the top end pretty bullet proof again and nice and shiny!

Headgasket set
Headbolts
Timing belt kit
Fresh coolant
Oil
Oil filter

and possibly...

Rebuild/test/skim cylinder head
Thermostat
Dizzy
Sparks

Cleaning the 'bay is a good thing to do with it all apart. Cleaning up the ISCV and throttle body with carb cleaner too, and sorting out any old crappy wiring loom sections. Sometimes worth cleaning out the inlet manifold as well, can soak in petrol or something. I took the bonnet off and flushed the radiator too when I first did it, load of crap came out.

carbman
19-10-2012, 13:28
Hello again you guys. Just to fill you in on the progress of my daughters car.
Sorry about the silence, but progress has been slow and out of my hands. Also, since my last attendance I have managed to have a low speed spill off my bike-(riding round a hump in the road and running off the edge into the grass/mud and breaking my thumb) and I haven't been in the best of moods since then.
However, saw my daughter last night and the car is back together and running. The mechanic is road-testing it today and all being well we will be picking it up on saturday morning.
As far as I can ascertain, (father/daughter communication syndrome,"you ask too many questions dad"), there were only 2 bent valves, but will be able to find out more tomorrow when I meet the mechanic when we pick the car up. (Dads' do have some uses).
At least the car has been saved to drive again. Maybe next year I can persuade her to bring the car along to a 'meet' somewhere

16v_paddy
19-10-2012, 13:49
Good stuff, glad to hear it's all sorted 8)

northy
19-10-2012, 14:47
any pictures of the bike - before and after ?

carbman
19-10-2012, 15:24

I will dig out some pictures and work out how to up-load them.

carbman
19-10-2012, 16:21

Hope you're not expecting the latest sexy, all singing bike!

It's an old GSXF600, painted in some paint someone had left in the garage. But it was only £600 with only 8,000 miles on the clock. It is a runaround until I hopefully get my BMW R100RS back on the road eventually.
The Suzuki runs like a brand new bike, so will do me for a while.

Anyway, pictures attached. It had the top box fitted when I bought it, but the tank bag is mine. Only damage to the bike is a"dangly" front indicator and the obvious scratches caused by newly laid chippings.5307

carbman
19-10-2012, 16:25
Not very good at this sort of stuff, plus got interupted and it all went awry.
Will try again when able.

carbman
19-10-2012, 17:53
Bike after accident, with gravel rash.:upset2:

carbman
22-10-2012, 13:31
Hello again you guys. Just to fill you in on the progress of my daughters car.

As far as I can ascertain, there were only 2 bent valves

Actually there were 8 bent valves. 4 inlet and 4 exhaust, but it is now running fine and doing sterling service again.