PDA

View Full Version : Renewed everything, clutch still not disengaging

elflamo
09-08-2012, 22:51
Hello all,

I'm looking for your help here. I've renewed clutch, clutch cable, clutch pedal, release bearing, relase fork plastic bush. Clutch won't disengage.

To eliminate possible cable and pedal issues , i've checked the movement of the clutchfork at the box itself by detaching cable and moving the fork by hand (molegrip). I'm in doubt whether the movements are as they are supposed to be. I've removed the rubber gaiter to look inside and i can see only limited movement of the diaphragm. Also, the fork seems to tilt somewhat clockwise. I'm thinking upon gearbox assembly the fork might have disengaged with a release bearing clip. And thus part of the movement of the fork is lost in the 'twist', hampering the required leverage and movement.

Anyway, is there a way to check wheter the fork is properly engaged with the release bearing while the box is still attached to the engine? Maybe the fork is bent, are bent forks a common issue? I reckon changing the fork without removing the gearbox is a big no-no

Thanks in advance for your help and advice!

16v_paddy
10-08-2012, 00:05
I'm rather drunk atm so don't take what i say as gospel but it's possible you've fitted the wrong clutch, had a similar issue with my car & the eventual cause was narrowed down to the wrong clutch disc being put in the box, the friction plate was too thick so the clutch wasn't able to fully disengage

jock
10-08-2012, 02:22
The movement at the top of the release fork needs to be between 17 to 18mm with the clutch pressed to disengage the clutch -Haynes. (std clio release arm)
The release bearing prob only moves 10mm approx.
Fork may turn slightly if your mole grips aint on straight as it only pivots on that round plastic bit.
not sure if its possible to fit the clutch plate back to front? doubt the fork is bent as it'd take some strength more likely stretch the cable. :???:

-jo-
10-08-2012, 08:02
not sure if its possible to fit the clutch plate back to front? doubt the fork is bent as it'd take some strength more likely stretch the cable. :???:

that is possible and then you get the sign's written above.

elflamo
10-08-2012, 13:46
Thanks for the replies. I'm pretty anoyed by this situation after weeks of replacing subframe, driveshafts, front wheel bearings, a-arms, track rods etc etc

wronlgy fitted friction disc is on the suspicion list as well. Can i check this by looking in the clutch fork hole? I guess not?

I'm afraid i'm heading towards removing the gearbox again, bummer.

elflamo
10-08-2012, 13:48
Also, does anyone have the correct sachs and valeo clutch disc part nrs, so i can check this.

elflamo
12-08-2012, 18:45
Allright, Friction plate was wrong way round And clutch fork disengaged from release bearing during 1st assembly.....

Putting everything back together now. Clutch pedal feels great already though!