PDA

View Full Version : No. 387

Ric Norris
14-07-2012, 14:53
Hi, I owned a 3 about 5 years ago and loved it. I've recently been looking out for another one and intended to spent around £2.5k.

For that I thought I'd get a good condition car that didn't require much attention, hopefully with no real rust. I've looked on all of the usual sites to find a good one for sale and thought that no. 387 looked pretty good.

Apparently it has had new rear 3/4 panels, rebuilt engine and loads of new parts

Described by the owner as show car condition. I'm normally pretty wary but I had a good couple of chats and he was insistent that it was a great car.

I've just been to collect it this morning and I've had to come on here because I don't want anyone to waste their time like I have.

The car has been resprayed, badly, at some point. I couldn't find one good spot of paint. The rust treatment was a joke, badly repaired, badly covered up. The wheels were some of the worst I have seen. Refurbed but had loads of runs, the paint looked like it had been scraped off the lip.

I only glanced briefly at the interior because I knew I wasn't going to buy the car but it didn't look good.

I was really excited about buying the car but it was a massive disappointment. Going to keep looking as I love these cars, I just don't want anyone else to be taken in by the bloke.

icenutter
14-07-2012, 15:08
I hate it when that kind of stuff happens. What do people expect when the buyer actually sees the car?

lee2
14-07-2012, 15:25
seen it on ebay earlier looked lovely in the pics

Ric Norris
14-07-2012, 15:41
I don't know if he genuinely believes that it is nice or he's just a liar. I'm thinking liar because he's in the motor trade and he must see enough cars to know what is good and what is bad.

Unfortunately the pictures hide just how bad it is. Now to look for a good one.

andreas395
14-07-2012, 15:42
Yeah thanks for the heads up did look nice in photos did think about it but what put me of was the amount of undersill in the photos seemed doggy

lee2
14-07-2012, 15:45
im on the look out for a one myself not many out there at the moment

Ric Norris
14-07-2012, 21:11
I didn't realise just how quickly they have been disappearing over the past few years.

It would be good if a respected member from the forum could go and see 387 to confirm its condition. I shouldn't have made an offer without seeing it. He's saying a tried to beat him down on price but me and my friend just turned around and walked away from him. He kept saying "You can't expect a champagne car for lemonade money".

A lesson for me, start with an honest car and get the work done to your own standards to get it to good condition.

Good luck with your search, it may take us a while.

lee2
14-07-2012, 22:36
He was bitching about you in the advert was he? If he's describing it to be good condition and pictures look good you don't expect it to be a dog! I bout my 2 two years ago and there was loads for sale now there is hardly any and the price has gone up on all the willys! Ate think your right mate

Matt-man
23-07-2012, 21:47
If your looking for a solid car which drives just like they should then i might sell mine... i put it on here a while back but situation changed and I have done quite a bit of stuff to her since....

Just logged on to post some pictures i took tonight..heres a couple!

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x265/matt-mantvr/IMG_8641.jpg

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x265/matt-mantvr/IMG_8643.jpg

northy
23-07-2012, 22:47
That's nice Matt - any before pictures?

Matt-man
23-07-2012, 23:06
That's nice Matt - any before pictures?

indeed! Here was the car about a week before the suspension....

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x265/matt-mantvr/IMG_8602.jpg

Ric Norris
24-07-2012, 10:56
Just seen this after posting on your advert. It looks like a lovely car, just what I was looking for!