PDA

View Full Version : Failed NCT/MOT.....help?

172lover
02-07-2012, 15:03
Well lads!

Got my Williams back from a respray last wednesday after a 3 month respray8-)

I booked in a NCT/MOT striaght away and I had it this morning =D>

It failed on[-(

*Tracking,
*Rear passenger brake is "sticking/defective"
(Parking imbalance above 50% is a fail....mine was 51%)
(Parking brake effort was 11% anything under 16% fails)

*Emmisions
Low idle(880rpm) was 5.82% (anything above 0.50% is a fail)
High idle(3,000rpm) was 8.10%(anything above 0.30% is a fail)

If it matters the car is running kent cams,pulleys,superchip remap,Some exhaust system?!? and standard cat.

How do I fix the sticky caliper and emmisions?
If I can't fix the caliper I do have a valver and 172 rear calipers here.

The car last had its NCT/MOT in 2008 and since then its done 2,000 miles.
So maybe to pass the emmisions it just needs a good(;-)) drive?

Thanks fellas

diditno
02-07-2012, 20:57
My emisssions failed after going back to a standard after the turbo lump was binned. A good pasting seemed to sort it out. May be just a good run to getthe cat hot would sort that part out.

ClioDan87
02-07-2012, 22:03
A good drive should sort out the emissions ! ;)

icenutter
03-07-2012, 06:42
Has it got 4 year old fuel in the tank. Some new fuel and a good spanking will probably sort it.

On the brakes; one or more of your rear callipers has probably seized.

Wobba
03-07-2012, 09:49
You can unseize a caliper. You need to jack up car, wheel off, pads out, sliding pins off (if front calipers), red grease em (normal grease eats the little rubber gaiters)...get the pistons working back and forth. I've used g-clamps before to wind the fronts back a bit.

The rears have a slot in the piston. You can slot a flat head screwdriver in the slots and turn the pistons to wind it in or out. Do this till its nice and freed up.

You can do tracking yourself too, but it wont be that accurate.

If a good drive does not help the emissions, a new lambda and coolant temperature sensor might help.

172lover
03-07-2012, 13:25
My emisssions failed after going back to a standard after the turbo lump was binned. A good pasting seemed to sort it out. May be just a good run to getthe cat hot would sort that part out.

A good drive should sort out the emissions ! ;)

Has it got 4 year old fuel in the tank. Some new fuel and a good spanking will probably sort it.

On the brakes; one or more of your rear callipers has probably seized.
Thanks lad's I'll give her a bit of a drive and it hopefully clear it8)
Ya it had 4 year old petrol in it.
I'll run it low and fill it with new stuff :grin:

You can unseize a caliper. You need to jack up car, wheel off, pads out, sliding pins off (if front calipers), red grease em (normal grease eats the little rubber gaiters)...get the pistons working back and forth. I've used g-clamps before to wind the fronts back a bit.

The rears have a slot in the piston. You can slot a flat head screwdriver in the slots and turn the pistons to wind it in or out. Do this till its nice and freed up.

You can do tracking yourself too, but it wont be that accurate.

If a good drive does not help the emissions, a new lambda and coolant temperature sensor might help.

It is the rear caliper wobba.
I'll try and free it up later when I get home :grin:
I tried to get the tracking done before the test but the fella at the tyre place said the rods are seized to get someone with "gas" to loosen it up first :???: So I'll try loosen them and bring it back down to him.

I'd say the lambda is okay...on the piece of paper yesterday it said mine is 0.79 and a fail is from 0.97-1.03.

Coops
03-07-2012, 14:53
gas meaning a welding torch to get some heat on there :-)

Wobba
03-07-2012, 15:07
Yep, seized rods is common. Heat will sort em, just be careful.

172lover
16-07-2012, 12:59
Ya I tried to gas the tracking rods but I couldn't get them to move:(
so I'm taking it to a garage I know that has a gas torch tomorrow and then getting it freed out and tracked:)

As for the rear calipers I freed it out but then the handbrake wouldn't work anymore!!?!
(even though I didn't go near it)
So I just put on 172 rear caliper's and handbrake cables...sooo much better.

There's a very strong smell of petrol coming out of the backbox and it's probably from the ecu being "superchipped" (are they generic maps or custom?)

My question anyway would I damage my cammed engine if I put in my brothers standard ecu from his Williams?
I'd be just doing it to pass the nct/mot...
(or I have some ph1 1.8 ecu's here also..)

Thanks lads

Wobba
16-07-2012, 14:08
The Superchip and Starchip's are all generic I believe.

Don't use the 1.8 ECU.

Use the standard Williams one if it's just a generic ECU map from Superchips. Could be other stuff making it run rich though.

Cavhopper
19-07-2012, 15:10
You could also try putting a bottle of cataclean into the tank before giving the car a thrashing. It has worked wonders for me in the past, especially on a car which has been laid up for a while (Or a cat which has sat in the shed for a year!).

zmaster2k
19-07-2012, 17:33
Gotta be honest i ran a 1.8ecu on my williams engine for my emissions test and it passed....

172lover
02-08-2012, 17:31
She passed!!=D>

Went for a drive out the road for about 1hr drive today to clear out the exhaust.
The emissions the last day were 8.10%(high idle) and today they were 0.02%!?!?!?:excited:

The bad news is I got 4 months NCT:gay:
So going booking it again in 1 month(you can book 3 months before expiry))
So then I'll get 1 years NCT:pompom:
(then Decat time!:groupwave:)

The Superchip and Starchip's are all generic I believe.

Don't use the 1.8 ECU.

Use the standard Williams one if it's just a generic ECU map from Superchips. Could be other stuff making it run rich though.
Thanks man.
I used my own ECU.
I said at least I'll know what I have.

You could also try putting a bottle of cataclean into the tank before giving the car a thrashing. It has worked wonders for me in the past, especially on a car which has been laid up for a while (Or a cat which has sat in the shed for a year!).

A good few people told me to put stuff(diptane and injector cleaner) into the tank but I wouldn't do that to one of my cars personally.
Thanks though.

Gotta be honest i ran a 1.8ecu on my williams engine for my emissions test and it passed....

Haha good man Z!

172lover
17-09-2012, 11:26
:evil:

Well 5 weeks later...10 miles later
Back for a brand new NCT/mot and she fails....

The only thing I have done to the car since it passed 1 month ago was I tightened the rear brake bias(the thing with the spring on the rear beam) I tightened the bolt about 1 inch I say.

I thought it might get the rear brakes better?

The pads are all in good condition.
I have 172 rear calipers and 172 handbrake cable's(passenger is original,driver is motor factor(a bit longer))
When I pull the HB it pulls the the left.
If I pull it very high I can hear the rear passenger caliper catches and you can hear it.
You can't hear the driver side.

172lover
17-09-2012, 11:38
Better picture with the problems highlighted ;)
http://i48.tinypic.com/1eou1s.jpg