PDA

View Full Version : Steering column

haggis
01-07-2012, 10:53
Hello, Does anyone know what holds the J jiont above the universal joint at the foot well. clio williams mark 1
seems to slide into bottom joint, but wont pull out. cheers

diditno
01-07-2012, 11:13
There is 4 bolts that hold brakets on the coloum, then a slide type thing it pushes into, and finally a bolt at the very bottom which connects it to the rack, you will need the fingers of an eight year old phillapino boy to get to it tho, or just go through the engine bay side. Its under the big black rubber cover.

haggis
01-07-2012, 11:28
under the black rubber cover there is a universal jiont and at the upper end of this joint there is another type, flat end insert into each other , how do they come apart. 3 small holes but dont appear to be any grub screws in there, still wont slide apart, any ideas

diditno
01-07-2012, 12:30
At the very bottom of it is a shoulder bolt which has to be removed. Then two sets of two bolts, i set on each section of the coloum When these are removed, pull the rack toward you as if your sitting in the driving seat, and it should pull out.

haggis
01-07-2012, 13:04
as you say should pull up and out, but wont, are there grub screws holding the joint , they may have worn snapped or broke but stubs may still stop it sliding apart, are they any screws in the flat joint, cheers

gozziee
01-07-2012, 13:18
There is 4 bolts that hold brakets on the coloum, then a slide type thing it pushes into, and finally a bolt at the very bottom which connects it to the rack, you will need the fingers of an eight year old phillapino boy to get to it tho, or just go through the engine bay side. Its under the big black rubber cover.

i changed mine a few weeks back and it took me about half hour to undo that bloody bolt at the bottom... let alone putting it back in again !!!!

haggis
04-07-2012, 15:34
ok took old column out and the joint that has play, does not come apart, the bottom end has a tap on it so the two parts never fully slide apart. Yep mine welded as all others.

RB23
01-08-2012, 17:33
I have undone the four mounting bolts and disconnected the UJ from the rack but I am struggling to get the column past the air duct under the dashboard, does this duct need to be removed? Or am I missing something?

MatBrown
01-08-2012, 20:22
There is a knack to getting them out, but don't forget the two torx screws at the top and the hook behind the 10mm bolt for the bonnet release.

RB23
02-08-2012, 13:57
There is a knack to getting them out, but don't forget the two torx screws at the top and the hook behind the 10mm bolt for the bonnet release.

Cheers Mat