PDA

View Full Version : Cant remove the starter motor?!

deelux
23-06-2012, 08:57
Just thought Id "quickly" whip off the starter motor from my valver today. I know its not the easiest of starters but,

i removed the heatshield from above it, then the connections. Removed the 2 bolts from the top of the starter securing it, then the nut on the bottom securing it. Then the bracket at the rear of the starter was removed.

Now im sure the starter should come off now but it doesnt? Ive beaten it and drove a wedge in from the top to try and seperate it. Then the wedge goes in and pulls the top part away from the gearbox but the bottom seems solidly in there. I cant for the life of me see or feel anymore bolts. The starters knackered hence replacing it, when i turn in the starter the soleniod clicks on but thats it, no turnover. I put the car in gear and pushed it to see if the starter was jammed in the flywheel, hoping id see the starter move a little, but it doesnt. Any ideas? Am i missing something? Or just hit it harder? thanks! Sam

Mrbrightsi
23-06-2012, 09:12
I'd check by hand for any bolts, is it an alloy housing? I spent about 2 days trying to remove an mr2 start motor becuase it was just welded in there. A rubber mallet and space to give it some work is all i can suggest.

chip
23-06-2012, 09:39
Thats weird, they normally just basically fall out once you have the bolts undone.

dont try too hard with lever bars etc, sounds like you have somehow missed a bolt.

deelux
24-06-2012, 06:50
Yeh its a strange one for sure. Like you said im a bit nervous about giving it too much force incase there is a bolt somewhere! Will keep on it.... Thanks