PDA

View Full Version : difference between 16ver looms

morley2212
20-06-2012, 19:30
hi, are there two types of williams looms?
And whats the difference between a 1.8 and williams loom?

16v_paddy
20-06-2012, 20:16
Don't forget about the different valver looms as you get ph1, ph1.5 & ph2, but it depends in what context you want to know for example, if you're fitting a willy lump to a valver all you need to do is use the loom that's already fitted to the car and it will work. As a general rule of thumb you just need to use engine looms that match the year of the car it's being fitted to.

The differences that cause the headaches are in where the engine loom plugs into the car loom, the plugs are the same & fit together fine, it's the connections inside the plastic plugs, the pins are in different places

morley2212
20-06-2012, 20:50
Don't forget about the different valver looms as you get ph1, ph1.5 & ph2, but it depends in what context you want to know for example, if you're fitting a willy lump to a valver all you need to do is use the loom that's already fitted to the car and it will work. As a general rule of thumb you just need to use engine looms that match the year of the car it's being fitted to.

The differences that cause the headaches are in where the engine loom plugs into the car loom, the plugs are the same & fit together fine, it's the connections inside the plastic plugs, the pins are in different places

Right ok i see....... well what i have done is put my willy engine in a k reg 1.8 16v shell but put my willy loom in with the engine.
So what your saying is if i put the 1.8 loom in with my willy engine it will be ok???

diditno
20-06-2012, 21:16
Ive had an issue when replacing the willy turbo lump for a standard one. The enine i fitted was from a willy 1 and i stuck it in a willy 2 shell. Ie different years. Ended up in major wire melting and smoke pouring out behind dash. a lot of repair work, and new loom later it was hunky dor. Just make sure the two main plugs that connect the engine to the car are correct. I learned the hard way.

morley2212
20-06-2012, 21:33
was the new loom out of a willy 2 shell then?

16v_paddy
20-06-2012, 21:43
Right ok i see....... well what i have done is put my willy engine in a k reg 1.8 16v shell but put my willy loom in with the engine.
So what your saying is if i put the 1.8 loom in with my willy engine it will be ok???

Bingo

morley2212
20-06-2012, 21:48
Bingo

sound

morley2212
25-06-2012, 15:09

Is a k reg valver a phase1???

Coops
25-06-2012, 16:12
yes it is :-)

morley2212
25-06-2012, 16:54
yes it is :-)

nice1… what reg did phase1 end???

16v_paddy
25-06-2012, 20:05
nice1… what reg did phase1 end???

LOL! Rather grey area with that 1 mate, I've seen K & L reg cars with a mixture of phase 1 & phase 1.5 bits which is why we say that the general rule of thumb is to use the looms that are already in the car. The other that could also balls it up is late registered cars

I think the only way you can find out for sure is to sit & compare the wires & positions of them inside the plug on the looms you have