PDA

View Full Version : Donington Circuit

Wobba
18-06-2012, 13:33
I only popped out for 15 mins to get a feel for the track. I think it's quite a technical circuit, all those ups and downs did my head in hehe. It was good to try though, even though I was going quite slow sometimes, as I did find a couple of things wrong with the car as it is, and the suspension is not optimal either! Got to get the gearbox rebuilt and diff checked.

There were some much faster cars and drivers in the bends, but I was pleased with the straight line pace of 217, the engine is nice ^^.

It's getting to a point where I need to decide what to do with the car...track car or pack it away somewhere.

Coops
18-06-2012, 13:53
track it mate, was that your first Donington experience? I think its a superb track and flippin fast as well. Hoping to get back there before the year is out!

Wobba
18-06-2012, 19:20
I think it is a damn fast track yea, but there is a lot to learn. I reckon a blat as a passenger with a regular would teach me a lot. Watching vids only tells you so much, you don't 'feel' the bumps and crests or appeaciate the speed your going.

I think my car is too stiff really, it made it much harder to tell how far I could push and as a newbie to the track i needed to know that. I'll get the box swapped out and change the springs next time. Northy said it is an expensive track usually?

16v_paddy
18-06-2012, 21:39
Wait til you go through craner curves sideways & backwards @ 80 odd mph with sticky track tyres on lol!

northy
18-06-2012, 22:23
Come to snetterton and Oulton park with us wobba. I could tell your heart wasn't in it from what I saw at FCS ;)

northy
18-06-2012, 22:33
Wait til you go through craner curves sideways & backwards @ 80 odd mph with sticky track tyres on lol!

What like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSHUxJgtJLE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Wobba
18-06-2012, 23:17
Come to snetterton and Oulton park with us wobba. I could tell your heart wasn't in it from what I saw at FCS ;)

You're right, I was not really in the mood, though don't get me wrong I did enjoy it, I was just knackdered and a bit spaced out and in too much of a mind not to fuk the car up as I have a long way to go home :D

16v_paddy
18-06-2012, 23:25
LOL! A bit like that but the afroman kept it on the tarmac, didn't know there was any footage of my car on track that day tho :p

Coops
19-06-2012, 09:24
you'll love it Wobba as you get to know it, its an excellent track imo but can easily catch you out, half the fun ;-) it can be expensive but think through club etc tend to get it at discounted rate, sub £200 for a full open pit day which imo is good value! :D

Wobba
19-06-2012, 11:16
Well, I've found three problems with the car since the Donny track session. First I was suffering a loss of power and minor misfire due to an old problem coming back: Loads of oil in the spark plug wells, one plug was totally submerged! I think the Meg plastic cam cover is warped, as I've changed everything else.

Second problem: Brakes. The fluid is fried. Bubbles in the system. Next time I will use higher temperature stuff, this was only DOT 4.

Third: Gearbox damage. It causes a rumbling like a CV joint fail on very hard right hand bends. I masked the problem by fitting hard springs, so less roll, but on track where you roll a lot more it is still evident. I hear that LSD's can have these symptoms if one of the pins is damaged. It's off to Gripper diffs soon to be rebuilt.

All these things led to me not being happy with the car on track. Good job I did that small session to highlight these issues :)

northy
19-06-2012, 12:18
You don't have much luck do you danny

northy
19-06-2012, 12:21
This new forum is quality! Check out my video embedment!

BOOM!!!

tutuur
19-06-2012, 21:40
Shame i didn't get to talk to you guys. Popped by the Williamses a few times but there where no people around:neutral:

stevie_b
19-06-2012, 22:19
Second problem: Brakes. The fluid is fried. Bubbles in the system. Next time I will use higher temperature stuff, this was only DOT 4.

Nowt wrong with DOT4. Get yourself some Castrol SRF. It is rated DOT4 but there isn't a better fluid from any I have tested on track (the only gripe I have heard is the cost, but it is less than half a tank of fuel so not something I think is massive in the grand scheme of things)

16v_paddy
19-06-2012, 22:35
ATE super blue is really good stuff & that's a DOT4, costs about £13 a litre on evilbay ;-)

Wobba
19-06-2012, 23:04
Ahh yea :D It's why it has DOT4 at the moment,a s I remember talking to Arj256 and he pretty much said the same as u guys :)

Northy: No, not much luck lol, but it gives me an excuse to take the car apart again hehe :D

I have had misfires all day today, and it stalled on me fro the first time ever on the way to work. Pretty sure it's nothing serious, and soon I can put the Clio under cover to work on too!

That's a great vid by the way. Interesting watching another Mk1 do the track. I was not too far off the racing lines but I think for me it's finding the balls to leave it in a higher gear and keep the power down. To be honest the cars that overtook me were the guys with all-day track passes, so I wasn't tooooo bad :)

Getting the track day bug again!

16v_paddy
19-06-2012, 23:11
Getting the track day bug again!

Come up to Castle Combe on the 6th July, I'll take you out for a blast to help you get the bug back properly ;-)

Wobba
19-06-2012, 23:21
Darn, I can't! got to be at work that day. I do however have the end of July off...which is good timing I think as there are a couple of track days then!

Wobba
20-06-2012, 01:37
Oh, and did anyone see that guy in the red Pug 406 drive out on the track in front of me as I went down the straight at 110 or so? He had no helmet on, windows open, Marshall screaming at him to GTFO?

I saw waved yellows so slowed down, otherwise I just assumed it was one of the organisers or something...till he started to moved into my path!

Coops
20-06-2012, 13:10
I had a hard left corner vibration years back, it was the diff so I concur with your analysis, although this was on standard diff floating about, but it was still fubar! lol!

andreas395
04-07-2012, 22:02
I have this problem with oil by the top of my sparkplugs to not giving me any running issues and I changed the rocket gasket hoping to solve the problem but still leaking :( is the rocket cover warped :-k Then

16v_paddy
05-07-2012, 00:36
Silicone sealer is what you need :winkey:

andreas395
05-07-2012, 00:42
Silicone sealer is what you need :winkey:

lol really i never used any sealer when i changed it years ago :(

hows things anyway mate good to see your still around :)

16v_paddy
05-07-2012, 00:49
Same shit different day I suppose mate, got a clio that doesn't run :lol: been having a nightmare week getting ready for a track day on friday, had to change the clutch on my new car twice in a week, going to pick it up from Bedford after I've finished this night shift I'm on atm, fun fun fun :-(.

Get some of that sealer that's used on the sump & bosh that on along with the old gasket (assuming it doesn't fall to bits when you take it off) & that will seal it up nicely

andreas395
05-07-2012, 00:56
Same shit different day I suppose mate, got a clio that doesn't run :lol: been having a nightmare week getting ready for a track day on friday, had to change the clutch on my new car twice in a week, going to pick it up from Bedford after I've finished this night shift I'm on atm, fun fun fun :-(.

Get some of that sealer that's used on the sump & bosh that on along with the old gasket (assuming it doesn't fall to bits when you take it off) & that will seal it up nicely

will give it a try nice one :)
shit about the car mate hope its all sorted and running fine when you pick it up, mine has been of the road for nearly 3 years got to sort out my sill before i put it through the mot, where you going for track day

16v_paddy
05-07-2012, 01:10
I'm going to castle combe, in a vauxhall :oops: clio is sat in a lockup with no engine, decided to move house while half way through a high comp F7R build :headbutt: so the new house is to blame as if it wasn't for that I'd be on track with the clio

andreas395
05-07-2012, 15:01
Bloody houses that's when I had to take my Clio of the road 3 years ago lol well when there both on the road will have to arange a drive :) good luck with the Vauxhall I'm surrounded by them where I live

jock
12-07-2012, 23:03
Oh, and did anyone see that guy in the red Pug 406 drive out on the track in front of me as I went down the straight at 110 or so? He had no helmet on, windows open, Marshall screaming at him to GTFO?

I saw waved yellows so slowed down, otherwise I just assumed it was one of the organisers or something...till he started to moved into my path!

I saw that muppet at Redgate and much gesticulating from a marshal ! :roll: I couldn't understand how he got out the gate past both the guys checking for passes/helmets etc.