PDA

View Full Version : Cam locking tool for Williams

Elaine1983
07-06-2012, 14:10
Hi ya,

I need to change the cambelt on my Williams 3.

Can anyone tell me exactly what tool/tools I need to do this please and where to get it from?

Thanks

Bigfoot
07-06-2012, 15:09
Im guessing its the same as the F7P engine, just turn it over to TDC and cam markers should be matching to the rocker cover markers, then just remove belt and put back on, you dont need to lock them up, correct me if im wrong though if the cams are different but dont see why they would be

172lover
07-06-2012, 15:09
You can get the tools from renault....

But saying that you don't need any locking tools for the williams/valver 8)

Just line up the two cams to the "dot" and put tipex on the crank pulley to mark it and just get someone to hold the flywheel(with a flat headed screw driver) while you are putting on the new belt,

Just make sure all 3 marks line up when your finished :twisted:

Coops
07-06-2012, 15:12
as above really, you can use an alan key in the TDC locking hole in the front of the block if you prefer, that's how I tend to do it but that's usually as i'm doing another blown H/G at the same time! lol! it does mean that the bottom mark on the crank pulley is then in the right place too, so just simply line the marks on the belt to the marks on all 3 pulleys

-jo-
08-06-2012, 06:37
and if you dont trust "marks" and dont know how to lock the crank, take sparkplug n°1 out (near the flywheel) and trow in a screwdriver in the sparkplughole. Turn the crank (gently!) till the screwdriver is at his highest point and then double check the mark on the flywheelpully.

dimma
08-06-2012, 09:11
your best to use a locking pin for the crank,that way you know that everything will be in the right position.mark the cam wheels before your remove the belt and also mark the crank pulley.the crank lock pin also comes in handy when loosening the bottom pulley bolt.when you have the new belt on and tensioned rotate the engine over a few time with a ratchet and socket.

Coops
08-06-2012, 09:45
why do people say mark the belt and pulleys? if you lock the engine at TDC (very easy to do) the whole lot already has marks there for you, why piss about confusing the situation by adding more?

never understood that approach at all

Elaine1983
09-06-2012, 19:54
Thats great. Thanks for the advice.

I will get the other half on the case asap. :-)

dimma
09-06-2012, 23:14
why do people say mark the belt and pulleys? if you lock the engine at TDC (very easy to do) the whole lot already has marks there for you, why piss about confusing the situation by adding more?

never understood that approach at all i always mark the original marks with white paint just to make them more visible.cant see how that would confuse things.

Coops
10-06-2012, 10:36
ah fair enough, i've seen marks all over though is my point, as in my 'new' head someone had put white marks in totally different place :lol:

dimma
10-06-2012, 12:51
Yeah I know what you mean.the last car I done was a Picasso hdi,there was several d I y paint marks on it and it turned out to be a tooth out on the camshaft.

Wobba
22-06-2012, 12:41
It can be hard matching the cams to TDC sometimes. If you find it hard, and the cams keep moving out of alignment, remove the spark plugs so there is no compression in the bores.