PDA

View Full Version : Is APD still going?

matty
29-05-2012, 15:27
Was thinking of getting my Mini Cooper S worked on by Craig seeing as he did work on my old 190bhp Hybrid.

Due to the camshaft caps on te hhead being kinda tailored to the head I have it's not easy to send a seperate head away and swap them over so was hoping to find somewhere I could leave car and they take head off, port/polish and refit.

AWT also seems to no longer be doing what they were from my google searches so am I right in thinking I need to look elsewhere?

snowman
29-05-2012, 15:32
flol

He changed his company name after his rep dropped dramatically by messing people around

A&P
29-05-2012, 15:34
No he is no longer tradeing. I believe Craig is now working for someone else not sure who or where.

16v_paddy
30-05-2012, 00:26
Still trading but under a different name iirc

A&P
30-05-2012, 07:10
Last time I spoke to him he had closed the workshop. He did try trading under a different name but gave it up and got a job somewhere else in the midlands I think not 100% on that but he no longer trades in Wales anyway.

sideways danny
30-05-2012, 23:35
he had his dyno up on ebay for 3 times what it was worth claiming he was so busy he needed to upgrade to a newer better one

rs27carrera
21-09-2012, 15:21
I would have a story to share about this fellow. It started 2++ years ago as we agreed he to build top spec engine using still original ECU (due to class limitation). I bought used engine & box + all accesories and sent to him. Spec was something like this:

FULL rebuild:
The engines are stripped, cleaned, and parts measured up for suitability of use. The block is blasted, painted, then bored and honed according to the dimensions of the pistons being used, decked to give desired squish clearance. Bearing running clearances are checked, then the crank is ground to give our desired figures. Piston rings are set to our desired figures depending on engine spec/usage.
The bottom end is then assembled using new seals and bearings.
The head is chemically cleaned, de-coked, skimmed, seats re-cut, valves back-cut, and assembled with new stem seals.
The engine is then assembled with a new cambelt kit, waterpump, cams are fitted and timed according to specifications.

parts:
Wossner pistons
Headwork
CatCams
Catcams pulleys

This is a PROPER race engine build, not just hastly bolted together. I build engines for local rally teams, one of which has been the class winner for about 5 years.
I can also remap the standard ecu for you to suit YOUR engine on my engine dyno. So effectively you will have the engine ready to fit and run without hassle.

Things started to go wrong when he already 2010 told that all tools INCLUDING DYNOS were stolen from his shop and insurance was hard to get pay all this (looks like they went to ebay), then story continues with similar pace and he had millions and one explanation why he did not finish engine. Note I do reside in Finland so I never went to see him in person, just found him here and talked over the phone, as he is really ok sounding fellow and possible can do something if he likes.

Anyhow, I believe I have had 300 contacts to him and as nothing really happened, I whistled game over and was hiring some legal help, and then after few explanations, why he was not able to send anything, and then all sudden I got this:

Obviously still far away form PROPER RACE ENGINE, ready mapped and ready to go. Possible 35% parts are missing and box is some louzy one not working. There are new pistons and h-profile conrods, head maybe is skimmed but porting is just some visual one and I have no clue what are piston spec etc. Also not sure if all assembly is done ok. I got cams and some sort of cam wheels (no clue who's make). So all this was something I could do in one week's spare time job.

Anyhow, it is nearly impossible to contact him and due to I paid good money to have completed engine, now I have thought to hire legal councel to check what can be still done. I have never been told that he has got new company etc. but he has continued to send mails from old address and telling stories. Also I have not been in this forum for years, so did not know too much happening.

But my question to you is, would you recommend any lawyer in UK who could study this case for me. As said, I do live in Finland (actually lot's of time in China and Australia too) so I am not having any clue who to contact. Hope somoene can give some hint and please you can also send PM to me about contacts.

Thanks in advance!

Regards, Harri

stevie_b
24-09-2012, 14:48
Hi Harri,

Unfortunately I have been in a similar situation with another company and am currently going through the process to find my options, so some things I have found out may be of use to you. You should consult a solicitor who can advise you on the UK Companies Act 2006 and what recourse this may give you. The company you dealt with was dissolved by the owner on 20/09/2011, which limits its liability somewhat, as effectively it no longer exists. However, you can apply to have the company restored to the register if it is found to have been dissolved incorrectly. You have a period of 6 years from the date of dissolution in which to lodge this request (so plenty of time left to do this at the moment, if you go down that route). If you believe the company would have still had property belonging to you when the company was dissolved you can apply to The Queen's and Lord Treasurer's Remembrancer for 'bona vacantia' goods that may have been passed over to them to hold. However, it seems unlikely that your goods will have been passed to them and are more likely to have never existed/been sold off/been taken by the owner if my own experience is anything to go by. If, in lieu of the pallet of goods that you finally received, you believe that there are still monies owed to you by the company then you become a creditor. By law the director of the company must advise all parties of their intention to dissolve the company within 7 days of making the application in order that parties can have a chance object. The director should send this communication to your last known address (you mention that you travel around a bit but I presume your home address has remained the same throughout?). If this communication was not sent to you then the director has broken the law. The maximum fine is £5000 (or unlimited depending on which type of court it is heard at). If the director breaches the requirements to give a copy of the application to relevant parties with the intention of concealing the application (for example they want to dissolve the company to avoid resolving a dispute that might be ongoing that they don't want to deal with and so they don't tell you they have applied) then this is also an offence for which a fine plus up to 7 years imprisonment plus disqualification from being a director for up to 15 years is possible. I hope that is of some use to get you started - you will need to take professional advice as to your own case, but finding someone who knows the area of dissolution and the Companies Act 2006 would be the kind of representation you are after I think.