PDA

View Full Version : fitting a steering coloum

gozziee
28-05-2012, 21:13
hi ive got to change my steering coloum before fcs but not really sure where to start to be honest. does anyone know the best way to do this please ???? i thought there was a thread on here but cant find it so sorry if this is repeated.

many thanks

diditno
28-05-2012, 22:57
undo the steering cowel. and plastic covers. undo the 10mm bolt that connects the rack to the coloum. then there are 4 bolts. remove and replace. its fidley but should only take an hour or so. its just a git of a job

Vandella
31-05-2012, 11:22
the most time consuming part of this i found was the bolt that holds the column to the rack!! getting in there was quite arkward especially through the footwell! it is very simple though id agree.. i changed mine on monday and took about an hour n half..

Allan
31-05-2012, 12:41
1)Lossen off the steering wheel middle nut / bolt depending on which you have
2)Confirm your replacement has the same fitting or that it comes with the extra part to put your wheel on :P
3)Remove covers around the column and dash, all small torx screws and will fall off.
4)Undo the 4 bolts holding the column to the dash (it will still be hooked in)
5) Go in the foot well or under the car your choice, both are covered by a boot and move the boot out the way (may take a lot of effort)
6)Undo the bolt holding the column to the rack and slide it out, notice it has a flat middle which you can put a spanner on to hold in place
7)if you drop the bolt dont worry you can get it under the car etc
8)push the connectors appart
9)pull the colunm up and forwards and it will come up.

Make sure when you put the new one in that you hook it into the dash properly, it should have no movement

Coops
31-05-2012, 13:34
you need to unplug the wiring to the ignition switch too and then remove the ignition barrel from the old rack and put it into the new one if you want to use your original key

gozziee
31-05-2012, 21:08
cheers people im going to tackle it this weekend if ive got time :D

FATBOY
31-05-2012, 21:59
wanna convoy up to fcs mate????

gozziee
31-05-2012, 22:13
wanna convoy up to fcs mate????

pm'd

gozziee
05-06-2012, 22:29
done the coloum today took a couple of hours, the worst bit was trying to undo that bloody nut on the u.v. joint !!!!! next stop abs fault then after that its all the main things done :D then on to the little things ive been putting off .... :excited: